seeds Saving seeds---what's with the seeds that have dark centers?

So I was pulling seeds from a pod tonight and noticed 10 seeds all have dark centers. They look pretty thin compared to the other seeds. Are they viable?

6mHAuhA.jpg

TexasHotPeppers said:
I would  say most likely they are not. I usually put the freshly harvested seeds in a cup of water, and those that float are not usually viable. You'll notice the "floaters" are the dark centered and/or thin underdeveloped seeds.
Nice tip. I will have to start doing that.

TexasHotPeppers said:
I would  say most likely they are not. I usually put the freshly harvested seeds in a cup of water, and those that float are not usually viable. You'll notice the "floaters" are the dark centered and/or thin underdeveloped seeds.
thanks for the tip I learned something new today !

TexasHotPeppers said:

Huh, thanks for the tip! Might still try germinating them to see what happens.

Seeds that float are not an indicator of non-viable seeds in chillis ... this myth is perpetuated from a certain other species of plant.
Black centres on the other hand I would not use and throw them away. Any seeds that don't look 100% healthy are not worth bothering with. The black centres are likely the underdeveloped or dead embryonic structure of seed showing through the seed casing.

Trippa said:
Seeds that float are not an indicator of non-viable seeds in chillis ... this myth is perpetuated from a certain other species of plant.
Black centres on the other hand I would not use and throw them away. Any seeds that don't look 100% healthy are not worth bothering with. The black centres are likely the underdeveloped or dead embryonic structure of seed showing through the seed casing.
I agree, I only save seeds that are properly formed, well sized, not thin etc.
Im even pickier when it comes to actually planting any of them! I will generally find the biggest best looking seeds out of the hundreds I save and plant those. I tip them onto a white plate and find the big nice looking ones

Back