• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Sawyer's 2013 Glog - Last Harvest/First Sauce

I haven't done a grow log before, but thought I'd give it a try this year. I'm growing mostly super hots, so I feel like I'm already behind schedule. Anyone know where January went? No pictures yet, I'll add some later when things (hopefully) start popping.

My setup is a basic home-made 2-tier 1" PVC plant stand. Each tier can accommodate 4 standard 1020 nursery flats and has three 2-bulb T-12 4' 40W fluorescent shop lights suspended above. The bulbs are a mix of Daylight, Wide Spectrum, and Power Twist. (I can't give you a K rating on these off the top of my head.) I use heater mats to try to keep the flats in the comfort zone for germination. They are wired to a dimmer switch so I can adjust the current. Even with the dimmer switch, in the past I've had trouble keeping uniform temperature, so this year I've put a layer of aluminum foil on top of the mats to spread out the heat and a layer of kraft paper on top of that. The flats go directly on the kraft paper. If anyone has any tips or tricks for controlling the temperature of heater mats (without purchasing an expensive thermostat), I'd love to hear about it.

I use standard 1020 nursery trays with 1206 (72-cell) inserts. I filled the inserts to planting depth with Sushine Mix #1 and planted anywhere from 2 (new) to 4 (old) seeds per cell. I then topped off the trays with some peat-based germination mix. I intended to use Fafard 3b germination mix, but didn't want to open a new bag for only four flats. I had a small bag of Miracle Grow and one of Ferry Morse left over from days past so I used one of those, I forget which.

The germination stand is in a back room in the warmest part of the house. As plants geminate and become established they'll be moved, either in whole flats, or potted out separately, to a 3-tier, 5 flat/tier stand in front of a bright picture window on the south side of the house. No lights on that yet and may not need them since the window gets direct sun for several hours per day. I'll be starting a lot of other seeds besides hot peppers, so I can't just leave them on the heater mats 'til plant out.

I started four flats today, one whole flat of self-propagated, pure-strain red Bhut Jolokia and up to 12 cells each of the following (note - I prefer the term 7 Pot to 7pod, but am keeping the 7pod nomenclature here out of deference to the vendor):

(First parenthesis is # of plants from first planting on 2/11, second is # plants/# soaked on 3/4)

Red Bhut Jolokia (my own isolated) (75)
Yellow Bhut Jolokia (PL) (0)
Brown Bhut Jolokia (PL) (1)
White Bhut Jolokia (PL) (8), (15/20)
Yellow Fatalii (RFC) (11), (6/10)
Giant White Habanero (RFC) (7)
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga/Moruga Blend (PL) (10), (28/35)
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga/Moruga Blend (RFC) (14)
T. Scorpion Moruga/Moruga Blend Yellow (PL) (6), (19/25)
T. 7pod Congo SR Gigantic (PL) (9), (2/7)
T. 7pod Large Red (PL) (4)
T. 7pod Large Yellow (PL) (1)
T. 7pod Brain Strain (PL) (10), (2/9)
T. 7pod Brain Strain Yellow (PL) (4), (11/12)
T. 7pod Brown (PL) (17)
T. 7pod Burgundy (PL) (8)
T. Douglah (PL) (5), (4/20)
T. Scorpion Butch T. (PL) (7)
T. Scorpion Yellow (PL) (18)
T. Scorpion Original Strain (PL) (1)
T. Seasoning (PL) (4)

New strains/sources started on 3/4:
Red Bhut Jolokia (PL) (45/50)
Scotch Bonnet Brown (PL) (22/34)
'12 7 Pot Yellow (RFC) (0/11)
'12 Bhut Jolokia Chocolate (PL) (0/14)
Datil (PL) (7/22)
Bhut Jolokia Orange (PL) (15/20)
T. Scorpion CARDI (PL) (7/20)
Tobago Treasure (PL) (8/20)

Started on 3/6:
Red Bhut Jolokia (own isolated) (>50)
Trinidad Moruga Scorpion (CPI) (13)
NuMex Pinata (CPI) (40)
White Bullet Hab (PL) (13)

Unrecorded plant date:
Orange Hab (PL) (2)
TS Cardi (PL) (7)
Dorset Naga (PL) (5)

Started on 3/25:
Yellow Bhut Jolokia (PL) - 8/?
Long Choco Habanero (AjiJoe) - 17/42
Pimenta da Neyde (PL) - 14/30
Giant Mexican Rocoto (PL) - 0/40
CAP 1144 (PL) - 0/21
(old) Yellow Habanero (Trade Winds) - 0/24
(old) Jamaican Red Mushroom (RFC) - 0/18
Trinidad Congo Red (PL) - 10/12
Datil (PL) - 9/22 (4 hh)
7 Pot Primo (PL) - 5/18
Early Jalapeno (PL) - 19/36
Cracked Jalapeno (PL) - 33/36
Large Hot Cherry (PL) - 33/36
Surprise Hot Mix (AjiJoe) - 97/144

Edit 4/3: add sources PL=pepperlover, RFC=Refining Fire Chiles, CPI=Chile Pepper Institute
Edit 4/3: (in blue)
Edit 4/29: Edit title (again)

WalkGood said:
Great pics mon ... I love dem all and I'm stoked you'll soon have pods \o/
Thanks for showing your isolation technique, did you make or buy the bads?
Thanks, Ramon.  I made the bags out of row cover.

Edit 10:12 PM - It's storming North, South, East, and West of me.  Hope some of it finds its way here.

Edit 10:38 PM - "And the rains, came tumbling down..."

Well, with those rains you are getting plenty of natural water.  Your in-grounds and potted plants look great.  Glad to see the supers are podding up for you.  Hard to believe we are almost into August.  I was taken aback when Rick asked above when you anticipated the first frost.  With your younger plants, it looks like you will have no shortage of candidates for overwintering.  Hope those reapers do something good for you.  I have one plant growing (PepperJoe) and it looks decidedly Naga-like. 

:woohoo: I got a good 2 inches of rain last night.  With all the plants I've put in the garden over the last week, it couldn't have come at a better time.

DocNrock said:
Well, with those rains you are getting plenty of natural water.  Your in-grounds and potted plants look great.  Glad to see the supers are podding up for you.  Hard to believe we are almost into August.  I was taken aback when Rick asked above when you anticipated the first frost.  With your younger plants, it looks like you will have no shortage of candidates for overwintering.  Hope those reapers do something good for you.  I have one plant growing (PepperJoe) and it looks decidedly Naga-like. 
Hey Doc, thanks for stopping in.  The rain had been a bit spotty, but this time of year anything is a blessing.  Last night was a soaker, so I'm in good shape for at least a week. 

I hear you about time flying; it's taken me off guard.  And you're right, I should qualify my confidence expressed in my response to Rick about the all-too-soon-to-be-here first frost.  For the most part, the really small plants I've been putting in the garden are shorter season peppers like jalapeno, hot cherry, habanero, so I think they do have a good shot at producing before frost.  The MoAs and Creapers are exceptions, because I didn't get those seeds until late, and they will definitely be overwinters.  There are a few other superhots that I've lagged on getting situated, but most have at least a specimen or two with a shot at reproducing.

poypoyking said:
If you don't have any small pets yourself it would be great to have a fox hang out.  It will take care of all the garden loving rodents that can be difficult to manage.
Hey, Ben, that's right.  I had forgotten about voles.  They have been a bane to my melon-growing efforts (along with raccoons and renegade chickens).  I've got a fairly early cantaloupe and an orange watermelon I think I'll plant for a fall garden.  Wonder what I could do to encourage the fox to stay around.

I've been in travel mode off and on this July, glad to see you're getting caught up. Plants look great!

Like the isolation technique!

The Fox IMHO is good thing :dance:
Here's to ripe pods before you're shut down!

Thanks for stopping by, Scott, Wally.  I checked the rain gauge (instead of just eye-balling it in various containers) and I got at least 2.75" inches of rain, maybe 3".  The gauge said 2.75", but it has a slow leak in it and I found some 3" deep containers that were overflowing. 

I did realize one drawback to having a fox hanging around.  It will eat my grapes when they start getting ripe.  It's already been eating blackberries, but there's plenty of those to go around.  I guess I don't mind sharing the grapes, either, if it will help protect the rest of the garden.

Wally, I made those isolation bags out of a light-weight row cover.  It's some older material I had around, so I don't remember the brand.  When it's used up, I'll use some light-weight Agribon.  I'm not sure of the number, 15, I think.

Foxes are beautiful. I'm guessing if you want to keep him around, grow chickens. :surprised:
We have friends who spent time as missionaries in England, and foxes are quite a problem over there in the cities I guess.  That seemed strange to me.

Glad to hear you got some rain.

LOL, my neighbors have chickens and there are always a few that escape the yard and come scratching in my garden.  Maybe that's why the fox showed up.

And yeah, this rain is a godsend.

Now we're talking.  I find rubber snakes to be excessively chewy.

More timely rain last night, maybe 1/4"-1/2", haven't looked at the gauge yet.  After repairing the mower, I've mowed the new space for the potted plants.  Hope to move them soon, but I've got another paper to review today.  Some of the newer in-dirt plants are starting to come along; some are taking far too long to recover from earlier abuse.

Nah...leave that Fox alone unless you're raising Chickens! If your neighbors have chickens...get more Foxes!  :rofl: Haha, I tasted a 7CSR yesterday and it was pretty hot, but fruity and sweet out of the gate. Just curious, are your pods thin walled? I have noticed mine don't look like some of the others I see posted. Smooth and shiny with thick walls...first few pods though so maybe they'll come around as the season progresses.

stc3248 said:
Nah...leave that Fox alone unless you're raising Chickens! If your neighbors have chickens...get more Foxes!  :rofl: Haha, I tasted a 7CSR yesterday and it was pretty hot, but fruity and sweet out of the gate. Just curious, are your pods thin walled? I have noticed mine don't look like some of the others I see posted. Smooth and shiny with thick walls...first few pods though so maybe they'll come around as the season progresses.
Oh, I intend to.  I identified it as a gray fox and I'm happy to have it around.  I keep finding fresh tracks in the garden, so I don't think it was just passing through.  The one pod I harvested had some funk inside it and it didn't dry well, so I never tried a second taste.  But it was very thin walled.  The one I have is the Gigantic from pepperlover.  Is that the one you have?  I have another pod just about ripe and many more in various stages of maturity.

More rain last night, about 1.5".  Can't say it's too much, yet, but the timing has interfered with my fertilization schedule.

Stepped out the back door this morning and there was a rabbit sitting on the top step.  I guess he didn't like getting his feet wet.

Should have some more pictures in a day or two.

Well I'm glad you're getting rain, please send the leftovers this a way :D

I'm ready for those pics!

Take care buddy!

Wish I could help, Scott.  People just two or three miles NE of me got as much as 3" out of that cell and those two or three miles SW of me got none at all.

Here are some pictures taken today.  Plants are starting to pod up, though most are a ways from ripening.  First up is a Trinidad Seasoning pod:
vowhuc.jpg

White bhut jolokia:
2mdlymx.jpg

7 Brown:
33niy2q.jpg

The 7 Congo SR Gigantic is the only one with pods getting ripe (since the two red BJs ripened).
30iwara.jpg

16h1de9.jpg

I don't know what that hole is all about.  Guess I'll find out when it ripens.

This 7 Burgundy is atypical of what I have, much darker stems and a lower, more spreading habit.  It's starting to load up with pods, and I like that.
258tt9x.jpg

I'm getting some pod drop, not sure why.  Hopefully it remains a minor issue.
2enuaz6.jpg

This one also gives you a look at the "weave" of the row cover I'm using for isolation.

Here's a little Pinata Jalapeno:
1zx4l1w.jpg

And some blackberries:
2d0x37c.jpg

That's all for now.

Back