SC beer laws

just letting you guys know that i believe the bill was passed allowing SC to have / produce beer up to 14% abw. (17.x% abv). great news for you guys! hopefully your brewers can start making something that is actually drinkable besides palmetto porter.

ross said:
just letting you guys know that i believe the bill was passed allowing SC to have / produce beer up to 14% abw. (17.x% abv). great news for you guys! hopefully your brewers can start making something that is actually drinkable besides palmetto porter.
I've been doing alot of distilling and research in the past few months, and quite frankly.....don't pay one bit of attentiion to Fedreal laws. Do it yourself.

That being said, congrats guys!

imaguitargod said:
I've been doing alot of distilling and research in the past few months, and quite frankly.....don't pay one bit of attentiion to Fedreal laws. Do it yourself.

when i can make beer as good as three floyds, then i wont care about the laws. until then, ill have to buy it. :twisted:

haha yea..i tried brewing once..didn't work out..so for now i'll enjoy beer made by people that know what they are doing.

cool news about sc though. i don't necessarily care what the abv is, as long as its not something like 3 or 4 percent...but i guess that restriction would prevent them from making certain types of beers that nobody should be without.

For years I cooked up my own brouhaha. Part of the fun was going out and buying Paulaner and Spaten brews to use the bottles for homebrew. I experimented with some rather powerful recipe's, some I even used champaigne yeast for the higher alcohol content. I stopped doing that after drinking some of the product...in other words, drinking 3 beers and then finding myself taking my pants off over my head! Good times.

xgrafcorex said:
haha yea..i tried brewing once..didn't work out..so for now i'll enjoy beer made by people that know what they are doing.

cool news about sc though. i don't necessarily care what the abv is, as long as its not something like 3 or 4 percent...but i guess that restriction would prevent them from making certain types of beers that nobody should be without.

the law was like 5% abw. so the brewers couldnt make anything worth a damn. having a limit means you have to be within those laws or else you cant brew the beer. with a limit of 17.5% this allows you to make thousands of beers if you want to. most beers i have had over 17% are gross anyway and taste more like a cognac than a beer. 8-12% is my ideal for any beer. needless to say, nc having a 15% cap bothers me none.

i have no personal preference, though i do enjoy the effects of alcohol so i prefer it not to be too weak.

on the other hand, i haven't seen any imperial stouts/double ipas/quadrupels/etc that were 5% :onfire:

Some of the smaller Euro breweries have has special stuff that can get pretty alcoholic. Thomas Hardy's comes in around 12% and I've had Samiclaus which comes in around 14%. Drink two of either and its instant...." I love you man...no I mean it..I love you dude..I oughta' kick your ass right now.....I mean ..uh..I'm sorry ..I love you man...."

xgrafcorex said:
i have no personal preference, though i do enjoy the effects of alcohol so i prefer it not to be too weak.

on the other hand, i haven't seen any imperial stouts/double ipas/quadrupels/etc that were 5% ;)

thats because they are brewed where people arent worried about meeting an abv quota, so the brewers can go nuts. imperial stouts are far and away my favorite style. but i am ready for the summer beers. bells oberon is hitting shelves, and im helping it leave the shelves in a hurry. :onfire:

i'm not sure, but i might've seen that stuff. i saw a few bell's beers for the first time, though it wasn't at a store near me. i bought a bottle of the kalamazoo stout though. probably post a review (already wrote it..just have to copy and paste. :onfire: ) shortly.

xgrafcorex said:
i'm not sure, but i might've seen that stuff. i saw a few bell's beers for the first time, though it wasn't at a store near me. i bought a bottle of the kalamazoo stout though. probably post a review (already wrote it..just have to copy and paste. :rolleyes: ) shortly.

oberon is an awesome beer. it tastes like beer. ive never let someone try it and they didnt like it. its not a hard beer to get used to like a stout. its kind of an american wheat type thing. its in a bright blue six pack with orange caps on it. god, i love that stuff. gonna get me a sixer for the yard work this weekend ;)

being both from SC and a homebrewer i can sum up my feelings for this occurence with a hearty WOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! it is one of the only things that i applaud our governor for agreeing to sign into law. other than this, he has been pretty worthless IMHO.

razyrsharpe said:
being both from SC and a homebrewer i can sum up my feelings for this occurence with a hearty WOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! it is one of the only things that i applaud our governor for agreeing to sign into law. other than this, he has been pretty worthless IMHO.

i said the same thing about mike easley when he signed our law into effect. i hope some of those brewers turn it up down there, because right now 90% of the beer brewed in SC sucks

ross said:
i said the same thing about mike easley when he signed our law into effect. i hope some of those brewers turn it up down there, because right now 90% of the beer brewed in SC sucks

They actually brew beer in SC? I thought the official state beverage for SC was Busch beer!

Sickmont said:
They actually brew beer in SC? I thought the official state beverage for SC was Busch beer!

palmetto down in charleston has some good beer. other than that uh..... yeah ...

ross said:
palmetto down in charleston has some good beer. other than that uh..... yeah ...

The Hunter-Gather is the best brew pub in South Carolina, but they don't bottle, on site sales only.

...but, damn, they're good.

imaguitargod said:

=======================================
Bingo. I used to do a little bit of brewing when I lived in St. Louis (go figure). We had a hard time getting anything more than 11.5-12%. It sure tasted good though....

I'll take taste over alcohol content any day. You can always add a bit of corn sugar to boost the alcohol content just prior to bottling if you wish, though...

Back