• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

health Scared I am doing something majorly wrong

Hey Guys,

I am still a noob at this as its my first year.  I have 4x4 raised beds, 5 gallong pots (and just got some 5 gallon SmartPots but havent used those yet).

The peppers (orange hab, cayenne, and Jalapeno) and most are showing these signs:

They are slowly yellowing it seems.  I am not sure if they are growing as fast as they should, but the leaf density is very thing.  None of the leaves have dropped  Pleaes take a look at the pic.  The coloring of my phone is off, to see dark green look at the seedling to the right to see.  The leaves are all light green/yellow.  The coloring is MUCH lighter then the fresh Jalapeno/Habanero I got from the nursery.

20130521_135521_resized_zps86e9fedb.jpg

The cayennes are growing fruit though, and one orange hab is coming in right now.  THey are all flowering however.  Is this some sort of fert defficiency?  

My soil consists of Kellog Garden Soil and Kellog Potting mix at 50/50 concentrations.  Also in the mix is some 10-10-10 organic fert (just a little mixed into the soil).  I have been using Kelp fert every 3 weeks or so.

I had initially overwatered these plants before I realized what I was doing, but I believe I have been watering right for the past 4-6 weeks.

The only pepper plant that looks ok in this box is my bellpepper.

I am freaked out right now because I have about 30 seedlings that are gonna need to be moved outside in the coming weeks.

Thanks!

If it hasnt always looked like it does then I would say defficiency. If it has always looked this way I would say it has a genetic disorder/defect.

I think Itburns might be onto something.  I had sprayed them for aphids about 4 weeks with a homemade Insectacide someone recommended which was a diluted mixture of dawn dish soap and alcohol.  Plants may have turned a few days after this.

fiveohmike said:
I think Itburns might be onto something.  I had sprayed them for aphids about 4 weeks with a homemade Insectacide someone recommended which was a diluted mixture of dawn dish soap and alcohol.  Plants may have turned a few days after this.
Alcohol?  Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!!!!   who the hell said that!?!    

Does your potting soil have Nutes in it?   if it does then you have done a big no no,  TOO many Nutes is not good,  I mix my own soil,  never add Nutes, just cook soil, I also have plants in the Florida sand with just some Base potting mix added and they are doing fine.

Read the bag if it says 3 months worth of nutrients you don't need to add(except maybe some Epsom salt) shit for almost 3 months,  if not,  I'm still not convinced your not loving em tah death.

GL

Prehensile said:
Alcohol?  Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!!!!   who the hell said that!?!    

Does your potting soil have Nutes in it?   if it does then you have done a big no no,  TOO many Nutes is not good,  I mix my own soil,  never add Nutes, just cook soil, I also have plants in the Florida sand with just some Base potting mix added and they are doing fine.

Read the bag if it says 3 months worth of nutrients you don't need to add(except maybe some Epsom salt) shit for almost 3 months,  if not,  I'm still not convinced your not loving em the death.  The soil mix I am using does not have any added nuts, its all organic matter/

GL

It was someone at the local nursery.  She said she uses this spray religiously.  That was my first few weeks every growing literally anything.  The stuff I am using has no added nuts, just organic matter and mulch mix.  I added the 10-10-10 but a small amount on the recommendation of the nursery.  This is before I found this site.  Anyways my tomatoes, cucumber, onion and garlic is doing awesome.  Just these pepper plants I may have loved on a bit to hard since they wer emy first plants.

I backed way off the watering, and only using the kelp fertilizer once every 3 weeks.  Its a learning process this year.  I am just trying to get things right so when I do this seriously next year I have learned to avoid the major pitfalls.

This place rocks btw.

To the original poster, because you have so many different types of peppers being affected suddenly, and at the same time, then it probably didn't *start* with a deficiency. Different plants handle deficiencies different ways, and not all at the same time.

I'm almost positive you sprayed them with the wrong chemical, I accidentally oversprayed onto a few of my plants last year, they looked exactly the same as yours. My plants outgrew my mistake, but i set them back a few weeks.

Even though you used something different than me, your plants should still end up fine. It almost looks like your spray caused a nutrient lockout.

I don't know if a leaf rinse and soil flushing would help it, but i would do it on a dry day, not after a rainstorm, to keep leaf diseases at bay.

Most of the leaves on my plants that get full sun look like that. A few of the guys who have been growing a while in sunny areas like mine say it is too much sun. Here's a picture:
oM6jca9.jpg

I have never sprayed these plants with anything but water.

Hmmm StupidJerk.... thats another though

My plants are getting 10+ hours a day of sun.  Is tha too much for a pepper plant?  Should I think about some sort of late afternoon shade?

Over sunned.
Over nuted.
Spray damage.

One or more of the three.

I haven't over ferted nine (yet), but have had that look for too much sun and for bug spraying.

A genetic propensity wouldn't show the same across varieties----I have 2 Charleston plants that have been yellowish since sprouting, amongst a plot of otherwise green pepper plants.

Over fert in dirt is hard to cure, but in my (novice) opinion, I would let them dry to droop before light watering (constant attention needed to keep from killing them) to force the roots to dig deeper and hopefully get into less saturated by nutes soil, and give them some shade.

Or, you could try to isolate the problem, as they are not in immenent danger of croaking.
A bit of shade would be easiest to try first.

My first spray for aphids took about 1/2 the leaves after looking like yours, and took about 2 months to come back.

Hey Gotrox,

Good advice. I am letting them fully dry out to droop right now.  Also I am gonna head to home depot and looks for ways to shade the plants.  Might get some shade cloth and rig something up.  Ill go from there.

Thanks,

Yeah... it could very well just be a genetic thing.  I have some pinocchio cayennnes that look like that... and have looked like that since about a 4 weeks old.  Also, I have orange scorpions that all have a pale green color... and have had it their entire lives in an otherwise deep green sea of peppers.

fiveohmike said:
Hmmm StupidJerk.... thats another though

My plants are getting 10+ hours a day of sun.  Is tha too much for a pepper plant?  Should I think about some sort of late afternoon shade?

They really like evening sun... so maybe some shade mid-day would be best.

good to know....these plants got hit unusually early with 90+ degree temps for 10 hours a day in mid/late april....a weird occurance here in N. Cali.

Back