• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Scolville home kit tester

interesting....

@pepperlover....I'm guessing the powder would have to be hydrated.....?????

wonder what the range is?  can't find any information on the first website I found.  Just sent an inuiry~

Oh damn I see a bunch of misleading information about to be on the side of hot sauce bottles.  As I understand it, SHU is a a measurement of a dry substance.  All I can figure is this thing somehow figures out the SHU of the liquid without respect to volume, that is a measurement of what is suspended in the liquid.  Just guessing, but thinking a measurement of powder in water would give you roughly the same results if you doubled the dilution.  So while it could establish the SHU of the material suspended in the solution, it would not accurately reflect the sensation of heat in your mouth.

Now I could be completely wrong, but i I am what use is the thing to measure anything other than liquids?

A reply from the company says "The SHU range of the meter is 116 SHU to 16 Million SHU.
The price for a meter is 5395 Euro.  It is made and ships from Europe.  This includes 100 sensors.  A starter kit is available on our webstore."

​Didn't ask about liquids -v- dry.  

AJ Drew said:
$6,358,00 US and people are calling it a home SHU tester?  I dont think I have ever owned a car I paid that much money for.  Wow.
Why is the cost related to if you can use it in your home?

It might be a bit expensive for everyone to have at there homes. 
But still it enables you to test in your home and not in a lab or similar.

A better title would be mobile SHU tester but that's not as good title for promotion.

I think the price is what to expect for such item, you can make good money on it if it works as it should.

If it works as promoted, it definitey has a purpose and niche market.  

As a sauce maker in the USA, with access to labs, it is not a tool I would consider using as I am not needing HPLC testing very often.  The HPLC tests I get are less than $100 each.  Doing the obvious math, I would have to need 63 HPLC tests to offset the cost of the unit.  Not a good option for myself, as I've probably had about  20 HPLC lab tests done with the Pure Evils and other hot sauces in the past over the last 15 years.  

BUT!!! Perhaps a processing facility would benefit from a unit like this, just to see where the sauces are at on the SHU scale while in R&D.  Onsite SHU testing rather than shipping out sample after sample after sample for lab testing until the desired SHU is achieved is a benefit. 

I would not use the SHU rating of the mobile test unit in promotions or claims as it is not a certified and tested lab equipment.  After using the test unit for R&D I'd still have the final product tested using an established HPLC lab.     

SL

orrevs said:
Why is the cost related to if you can use it in your home?

First read this and thought: Are you serious?  Then I saw where you were from and figured it is a cultural thing.  Generally speaking word use here has evolved to a point where the terms Home and Commercial tend to indicate price as well.  It also indicated quality, a commercial something is thought to be high quality and thus high price.  The inverse is also true.  Something that is advertised as a home model is thought to be lower quality.

Your inquiry explains why they would call it a home unit as they are from the UK.  Language differences.

Good point to call it a mobile SHU tester unit instead of a home testing unit.  Cultural interpretations of such wording may be important.   

Processing regulations are different in different countries.  SHU testing is usually not involved with health district or licensing testing for processing of sauces and such.  SHU are for bragging rights and marketing.  
SL

€5395. That's a Greek's yearly salary. :D

These things are clearly not for home-gamers ("home" as in "affordable by your average middle-class family"). These things are for enthusiasts who wish to start a Scoville Testing Service. This way we can all get the benefits and those who buy it can make the money back. This is how the market usually works.
Same thing happened with 3D printers and look at them now.
In a few years, thanks to competition, we will be buying units better than this one from China for 2,99 and free shipping.

Until then, if there are many people who need such a service, we can donate a few dollars to someone able to handle it and then sent them samples for testing. However it will take like 1.000 people. :D

Back