• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Scotch bonnets, squash, mushroom,Jamaican hot etc

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
Pepp3rFreak what is the source of your true Jamaican Scotch Bonnets because I like the pimpled skin and shape of those pods.
I got my seeds from Kato. I've been wondering about the rough pimples as they look like they'll be dangerously hot, perhaps that got crossed because I have them beside Nagas and Scorpions.:P That would Rock!

Mine were from Kato too, and no bumps or pimples. Looks like your true jamaican SB is no longer true, but maybe even better;)

Great images folks of "true Jamaican Scotch Bonnet" like you got those seeds from Kato I had those too but I lost it due to frost in May will try those again next year should be great pepper with flavor.

This is what we get in England labelled as Scotch Bonnets. They taste like Scotch Bonnets but not the shape I would definitely call Scotch Bonnets.

23072008272.jpg

rainbowberry said:
This is what we get in England labelled as Scotch Bonnets. They taste like Scotch Bonnets but not the shape I would definitely call Scotch Bonnets.

23072008272.jpg

Damn....they look tasty.

rainbowberry said:

23072008272.jpg

those look almost like the peppers Trini posted of the pictures in the open air market in Trinidad...I think she called them Trinidad Congos...

All I can say again is that they taste like Scotch Bonnets but without the shape you'd expect. They are very thin-walled (skinned). Oh and they were grown in Holland like a lot of them I buy, not that it makes any difference.

I've started to notice a lot of variation in shapes on my Scotch bonnet TFM plants

The pods on the left here looks different than the ones on the right. The left ones are older so that may be a reason.
Edit:I think this one is an annuum

This shape is not common but its bumpy and weird

This shape(2 lobes) seems fairly common

Nice photos, and a good thread to reference back to. I was just outside looking at my plants and thinking that a couple of scotch bonnet plants are definitely gonna be on my garden list next year. I over did it a little on jalapenos this year (which is not a problem) and I'm gonna have a lot. But hey, its my first shot at this, so you learn from it.

I have seen places to buy seeds, so I know getting them won't be too difficult.

Pepp3rFreak said:
I still wonder why I have such bumpy bonnets. I hope they at least crossed with a Naga :)

By the looks of 'em, perhaps a 7pot/Scorpion eh?
At any rate..those looks killer. :-)

They wouldn't have crossed with anything that will affect this years peppers only the seeds. I just think it is Kato's primo SB strain because Potawie's looked a little bumpy too last year. That is also an amazing looking bumpy scorpion. I think all your plants are just being grown in ideal conditions and your peppers grow to their fullest potential. Nice garden.

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
They wouldn't have crossed with anything that will affect this years peppers only the seeds. I just think it is Kato's primo SB strain because Potawie's looked a little bumpy too last year. That is also an amazing looking bumpy scorpion. I think all your plants are just being grown in ideal conditions and your peppers grow to their fullest potential. Nice garden.
Thank you for the compliment! Perhap's if it is a Kato/Primo strain it does have a little genetics of both Naga and Bonnet? Primo is where I got my Naga seed last year and I couldn't be more happier with them both last and this year!
garden0716.jpg

Back