scotch

god it seems like 90% of my posts are about drinking. anyone indulge in this wonderful elixir that is second only to beer? if so - do you go for the blended or the single malts? id love to review scotches, but ive never found the site to do such a thing - not to mention i probably havent had but 40-50 kinds.. so it would be rather short..

hope everyone is having a good start to the weekend

The Macallan 12yo when my buddy buys it but I'm much more a tequila guy. Don Julio or Patron Anejo. Remy Marin Cognac on rare occasion. There is a guy named Michael Jackson ( not the Bubbles, Elephant Man, Neverland kook ) that is a world authority on beer and I think he also has some books on scotch as well. Give him a google and see what comes up..

texas blues said:
The Macallan 12yo when my buddy buys it but I'm much more a tequila guy. Don Julio or Patron Anejo. Remy Marin Cognac on rare occasion. There is a guy named Michael Jackson ( not the Bubbles, Elephant Man, Neverland kook ) that is a world authority on beer and I think he also has some books on scotch as well. Give him a google and see what comes up..

i think i have the book. dad works for a book publisher.. at least, i have a 300 page book about scotch. not sure who wrote it. at any rate - macallan 12, not bad. a bit too much smoky peat for me. does your buddy ever splurge and get the 18? its considerably more per bottle.. there are numerous single malts in the 40-50 dollar range (where mac 12 is) that are very good. try some balvinie 12 double wood. that is my current favorite, but my all time favorite is a toss between glenmorangie 10 and a cragganmore. the bid probably goes to cragganmore.

if im doing cheap, scoresby, without a doubt, is the best deal. 10 dollars a fifth and it tastes decent. its just bottled over here instead of in scotland, so it doesnt have the mark up. hell ive drank about 4 big drinks of it now, and it tastes damn fine! :)

You know, I've never got the hang of this single/ blended thing.

At the moment in my drinks cabinet (read: shelf in cupboard under the stairs) I have a McAllan 10 year old, a port barrel finished Glenmorangie, a maderia finished Glenmoragnie, a bottle of Jack, and a bottle of southern comfort, which I guess doesn't count as whiskey but is close.

When I'm out and about, I'm partial to a Talisker, or a Knob Creek, or Jura. Peaty stuff.

Edit: Balvenie 12! That's it! Was trying to remember what my last decent one was before the McAllan! Thanks Ross.

Ross..I am not sure if I had the 18 Macallan or not. Most of the good stuff I have tasted is due to someone else having it. I was a fishing guide in Alaska for a dozen years or so and all of our guests/fisherman brought the good stuff....Glenmorangie, Macallan, etc...gave out Cuban cigars like candy. Alas..I'm not much of a scotch afficianado and don't know enough about cigars to know what is good.

Shooty* said:
You know, I've never got the hang of this single/ blended thing.

At the moment in my drinks cabinet (read: shelf in cupboard under the stairs) I have a McAllan 10 year old, a port barrel finished Glenmorangie, a maderia finished Glenmoragnie, a bottle of Jack, and a bottle of southern comfort, which I guess doesn't count as whiskey but is close.

When I'm out and about, I'm partial to a Talisker, or a Knob Creek, or Jura. Peaty stuff.

Edit: Balvenie 12! That's it! Was trying to remember what my last decent one was before the McAllan! Thanks Ross.

how are those glenmorangie in the different casks? ive never had those, they are about 15 more a bottle here so i never go for them. i really want to try one tho. they have 4 of them right?

texas blues said:
Ross..I am not sure if I had the 18 Macallan or not. Most of the good stuff I have tasted is due to someone else having it. I was a fishing guide in Alaska for a dozen years or so and all of our guests/fisherman brought the good stuff....Glenmorangie, Macallan, etc...gave out Cuban cigars like candy. Alas..I'm not much of a scotch afficianado and don't know enough about cigars to know what is good.

mmm cuban cigars. jfk was such an asshole. :onfire:

i know a guy who went fishing up there, he said it was great. did you see a bunch of bears? he said they went to this one place, and there was just salmon jumping out of the water. he said it looked like a red wave coming out there was so many of them. haha

sounds fun!

Heaps of bears. There are several place's that have the scenario you describe. The two best known are Brooks Falls and McNeil River Falls. Another place to see literally walls of salmon moving up river is the Russian River, a trib of the Kenai. If you are into fishing, there is nothing like Alaska.

texas blues said:
Heaps of bears. There are several place's that have the scenario you describe. The two best known are Brooks Falls and McNeil River Falls. Another place to see literally walls of salmon moving up river is the Russian River, a trib of the Kenai. If you are into fishing, there is nothing like Alaska.

im more into hunting, fishing is boring to me. but i imagine if there are literally walls of fish, it shouldnt be hard to catch one or 2 :onfire:

The glenmoragnie are port, madeira, burgundy and sherry. I've had all three except the sherry, I think. I got through the burgundy the quickest.

The maderia was the the first whiskey I ever had straight, and enjoyed :onfire: My best man drank it at uni and gave me some during a marathon "blood" gaming session on night.

They're nice... it's just a little edge on it, you know? Smooth.

But your reality "PURE" scotch fans may balk at the idea, perhaps.

Back