• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

annuum Scoville rating for Super Chile Capsicum annuum. (F1)

Hey folks,

I eat Habanero raw almost daily, they're supposed to be 100 - 350,000 scu.

I picked my first ripe Super Chile today (Capsicum annuum F1) supposedly rated 40-50,000 scu. That little beggar was hot!! way hotter than any yellow hab I've ever had....gave me hiccups right off the bat and a good mouth/throat burn.....Habs never do that!!

I know this is kinda wimpy for all you superhot eaters, but it really caught me by surprise.....anyone else had a pleasant heat surprise/experience with these little guys?

Rooze

ya i grew them a couple years ago and popped one, and like you I was quite surprised by the heat. Not as hot as my Caribbean reds, but still way hotter then any store bought habs I had ever tried.
I was actually even more surprised by the yield, I must have got 300 peppers off a plant growing in a 2-3gal container. I've still got tons of them dried in the cupboard.

my roommate grew them a couple years ago and i ate one and dang hot! not too mention we made 2 jars ow powder from one seasons peppers.

I know that the super market peppers routinely rate below what ever scale rating it gives on their bin due to the grower just trying to pump out huge quantities. To kinda go along with what you were saying, my fiance's parents grow jalapenos and they are consistently hotter than any store bought serrano I have ever gotten.

i tried one tonight! my god! im not use to eat raw peppers my mouth was out for 5 minutes! that was intense!
i can only imagine something like a jolokia or scorpion... my god! some guys around here are tough to support that much heat and effect!
but i survived and my stomack seem fine for now!

I can't believe that pepper is only 50,000 scu. I've had sauces rated at 100,000 + which have burned less, much less.

There may be a simpler reason for what everyone's experiencing. There are different types of capsaicin, some peppers have more of one, and less of the other, and our tolerances are different to all of them. They all hit your mouth from a different direction.

Hotter Jalapenos are supposedly loaded with one of the alternate Capsaicins, which is why a hotter jalapeno can surprise you with that pins-and-needles sensation, because many of us haven't built up a tolerance for it.

There was a couple of great discussions on it earlier this year

they hit hard and fast, i think you arent used to the "way" it burns. its hitting a different part of your tongue thats why you think that its hotter than a hab.

Jetchuka / Kiddc - those are valid points, I can't say for sure that they apply to my experience with the little supers. The first thing that hit me was the hiccups, and the burn was pretty much all around, though less so towards the front of my mouth and nothing much on my lips.

I dug out this thread from a short while back which seems to offer some explanation - store bought peppers are picked long before they're ripe, so they haven't developed fully in terms of heat. Now I sorta suspected that the Habs I buy are not full heat, so I assumed they're towards the low end of their accepted SCU rating of 100,000 - 350,000 So I figured they're maybe around the 100,000 point. But now I'm thinking it's much less than that, MUCH less.

So that's a lesson learned for me. The good news is I have many more of the little super chiles ripening and ready for cooking, sauces, dehydrating etc.....the bad news is that I have nowhere near enough to last into the late Winter, so I'll be back buying crap stuff from the store in a few months.

Next year will be different. I'll be planting LOTS of variety, and early. I already have some of my seeds ordered!!

Anyone have any comments on "unexpected" levels of heat from different peppers, please chime in....

There may be a simpler reason for what everyone's experiencing. There are different types of capsaicin, some peppers have more of one, and less of the other, and our tolerances are different to all of them. They all hit your mouth from a different direction.

Hotter Jalapenos are supposedly loaded with one of the alternate Capsaicins, which is why a hotter jalapeno can surprise you with that pins-and-needles sensation, because many of us haven't built up a tolerance for it.

There was a couple of great discussions on it earlier this year
To be clear, there's only one capsaicin but other capsaicinoids contribute to the burn.

I had some late season "Early" Jalapenos last year that knocked my socks off! I can cut up habaneros, fatalli, and other chinense and touch my skin without it burning, and they don't repeat burn either if you know what I mean, but these jalapenos burned everything and even made my eyes water! That's when I decided I needed to grow some of these jalapenos this year.

Back