• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Scuba_Steve's First Year Glog

Hello everyone!

This is my first year growing peppers.  Well at least any "real peppers"  My wife has grown some low heat stuff the last 2 years, but I had no real involvement.

I have a bunch of seeds set to arrive from some great people on this forum.  I am not entirely sure what I have coming, so I will only list what I have currently in my starters for now.

Edit - Updated on 23 Mar 2015

In Ground:
7 Pot Red
7 Pot Bubblegum
7 Pot Madballz
Aji Limon
Aji Pineapple
Bhut Jolokia Red
Carolina Reaper
CGN 21500
Cherry Bomb
Cumari Do Para
Devil's Tongue
Habanero Red Savina
Jalapeno Purple
Jamaican Mushroom Red
Large Orange Thai
Moruga Scorpion
Naga Morich
Thai Ornamental
Trinidad Scorpion Chocolate
Zimbabwe Bird

In Solos:
Almost all of my in ground plants
7 Pot Burgundy
Bhut Jolokia Chocolate

Unsprouted:
7 Pot Brainstrain Red
7 Pot Chaguanas
7 Pot Jonah
Aji Pinguita de Mono
Bahamian Goat
Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon
Bhut Jolokia Peach
Fatalii Gourmet Jigsaw
Fatalii Yellow
Piquin
Scorpion Peach
Tepin Wild
Trinidad Douglah
Trinidad Smooth

I bought my seeds from cross country nurseries.  I plan to grow out 1 of each plant to maturity.  I planted 9 cells for each though and will keep the best and give away or sell the rest.

I started my seeds on Feb 4th.  They were started with a 24 hour soak in 1 tsp to 1 quart mixture of potassium nitrate to water.  I did not use any fancy methods to start germination after that.  They were just placed into a 72 cell starter tray with Jiffy mix.  I must say I am now not a big fan of this, and I think I will use other methods from now on.

For quite some time I thought I had about an 80% failure on my germination...

Once you sowed your seeds where did you put the tray ... Have you a prop or did you utilise the airing cupboard. seeds need constant heat 27-30c to germinate ... do you also have artificial light

If not happy with potassium nitrate .... make yourself a cup of tea. Save the tea bag and place in a dish with some warm water .. place seeds in some paper towel and place on top of tea bag ... leave over night ... a weak tea solution softens tannin which softens the seed husk and is widely used in the UK to aide germination especially on those stubborn varieties

... turns out that I think I just need to be a bit more patient.  I am now over 50%, and I see at least 1 new hook every day!

Trident chilli said:
Once you sowed your seeds where did you put the tray ... Have you a prop or did you utilise the airing cupboard. seeds need constant heat 27-30c to germinate ... do you also have artificial light
I have a standard little seeding heat mat under them.

When my peppers first started coming up, they were lit only by a south facing window.  I noticed that they appeared to grow quickly despite only having their cotys.  I decided that they were looking a little leggy for my liking.  I had 6 bulbs laying around from a hydro project that never had a chance to take off.  I decided that 2 should be plenty to illuminate my tray.  I ordered these bulbs off of eBay from a guy in china.  I could not find the exact spectrum I wanted, so I had them customized by him.  I still got a great price, around $25 each.  The bulbs are 18 3w LEDs, 54w total, with a combo of 8 660nm, 4 630nm, 2 450nm, 2 430nm, 1 730nm, 1 3000k white.  The 8 660nm, 4 630nm, 2 450nm, 2 430nm are set due to peaks in the PAR spectrum, or areas where photosynthesis is most effective.  I added the white to provide a small amount of coverage in all the other areas.  The IR LED is there to stimulate the Emerson Effect.  Look that up on Google if you've never heard of it.  It was some good knowledge.

I then threw this together.
DSC_0815.jpg

Shortly afterwards I moved the light up as high as they could go.  I was not getting good coverage.  Plus 3w LEDs are a point light source, and can be pretty intense for some new seedlings.

nothing more cooler than watching a seed that you plant go from a tiny hook to a huge plant with really nasty looking peppers towards the end !  self satisfaction !   i'm hoping that i can get some to maturity and retrieve a lot of seeds so i can share back into the T.H.P. COMMUNITY !  they have treated me well !    :onfire:

moruga welder said:
nothing more cooler than watching a seed that you plant go from a tiny hook to a huge plant with really nasty looking peppers towards the end !  self satisfaction !   i'm hoping that i can get some to maturity and retrieve a lot of seeds so i can share back into the T.H.P. COMMUNITY !  they have treated me well !    :onfire:
I agree.  As I have heard quite a few people around here say, Pepper People Rock!  There is a ton of generosity around here.  I am hoping to amass enough seeds this year so I can contribute back to the community as much as humanly possible next season.

So after a ton of thought and discussion on soils, I finally decided on a mixture to use.  Ironically it is what I originally planned.

Here is a mixture of 5-1-1.  Well actually I modified slightly and made 4-1-1.  4 parts Olde Castle soil conditioner (composed pine fines), 1 part sphagnum peat moss, 1 part perlite.  I also added 1 tbsp of kelp based slow release fertilizer, 1 tbsp dolomitic lime, and 1/2 tbsp bone meal.

How many of you can say that you have been arm deep mixing soil at 1am?

9cft unmixed
DSC_0823.jpg

Mixed
DSC_0824.jpg

Closeup
DSC_0825.jpg

Bagged
DSC_0827.jpg

I did a second 4.5cft batch this morning as well.  There are now 10 1/2 bags. 

BTW, I had read Wally bags are almost exactly 5 gallons.  Well Depot bags are almost exactly 10 gallons.  I measured with a 5 gallon bucket.

I mixed this by hand on a 9'x9' tarp.  The tarp made things very easy compared to any other method I could think of.  I could pick up a corner or side of the tarp to remound the mixture.  It still took forever!

looks good to me ... looks like you'll have a fine grow!

I can relate to late night work regarding peppers too... I always do stuff 'till 2 AM, even when I have to get up at 6:30 AM to go to work.... you just get used to it :)

I had another late night last night, elbows deep in dirt.  Man I must be getting old!  Mixing your own dirt is hell on your back!  I am glad I am finally done with that!

First I installed a new irrigation timer.  The old one broke.  We have 6 beds in our yard.  Each line goes to two beds.  Only 2 of them are mine, the rest belong to my wife.  I have the far right line.

Timer.jpg

Dug a trench to run the irrigation line.

Trench.jpg

Here is my bottom irrigation.  There will be sprinklers up top too.  I know most don't like the pea pebbles, but it has worked very well in my wife's beds.

Bottom_Irrigation.jpg

Mixed up 28cf of Mel's Mix with a little twist.
6cf Sphagnum Peat Moss
2cf Coconut Coir
10cf Mixed Compost (Manure, Mushroom, Humus, Chicken)
6cf Vermiculite
2cf Perlite
2cf All Purpose Sand
8 cups Dolomitic Lime
8 cups Kelp based slow release fertilizer
4 cups Bonemeal

Bed.jpg

Close up

Bed_cu.jpg

Scuba_Steve said:
Is it just me, or does anyone else have a cable box that looks like this?
Lol, ive heard of germinating seeds like that, but have never tried it...

Those your round 2 seeds?

Today is beautiful outside!  80 degrees with a light breeze.  So far it is the warmest day of the year.

I decided today would be a good day to sit outside, let the peppers have their first exposure to the sun and the wind, and do most of my transplanting.  Not everything was ready to pot up, but most were.

Prepped and ready
Transplant_1.jpg

All done!
Transplant_2.jpg

And we are back in the house now.  I again threw together a lighting setup to accommodate their much larger footprint.  They are now in the garage.  It isn't heated, so hopefully they stay warm enough.

I am just using an old aquarium LED fixture.  It seems to be putting down plenty of light, although not the most ideal spectrum for plants.  No reds, just whites and blues.

Garage.jpg

Your plants look really good so far, as does that soil. I bet those raised beds are going to be fun this season. I'm really happy with the ones I put in a few years ago.

Scuba_Steve said:
 I also added 1 tbsp of kelp based slow release fertilizer, 1 tbsp dolomitic lime, and 1/2 tbsp bone meal.

Are those amounts ^ what you added to the whole batch? That seems kind of light, imo. I think I added closer to a cup each of bone meal and Tomato-Tone per ft3 to my mix last year, for example.

Back