• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Scuba_Steve's First Year Glog

Hello everyone!

This is my first year growing peppers.  Well at least any "real peppers"  My wife has grown some low heat stuff the last 2 years, but I had no real involvement.

I have a bunch of seeds set to arrive from some great people on this forum.  I am not entirely sure what I have coming, so I will only list what I have currently in my starters for now.

Edit - Updated on 23 Mar 2015

In Ground:
7 Pot Red
7 Pot Bubblegum
7 Pot Madballz
Aji Limon
Aji Pineapple
Bhut Jolokia Red
Carolina Reaper
CGN 21500
Cherry Bomb
Cumari Do Para
Devil's Tongue
Habanero Red Savina
Jalapeno Purple
Jamaican Mushroom Red
Large Orange Thai
Moruga Scorpion
Naga Morich
Thai Ornamental
Trinidad Scorpion Chocolate
Zimbabwe Bird

In Solos:
Almost all of my in ground plants
7 Pot Burgundy
Bhut Jolokia Chocolate

Unsprouted:
7 Pot Brainstrain Red
7 Pot Chaguanas
7 Pot Jonah
Aji Pinguita de Mono
Bahamian Goat
Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon
Bhut Jolokia Peach
Fatalii Gourmet Jigsaw
Fatalii Yellow
Piquin
Scorpion Peach
Tepin Wild
Trinidad Douglah
Trinidad Smooth

I bought my seeds from cross country nurseries.  I plan to grow out 1 of each plant to maturity.  I planted 9 cells for each though and will keep the best and give away or sell the rest.

I started my seeds on Feb 4th.  They were started with a 24 hour soak in 1 tsp to 1 quart mixture of potassium nitrate to water.  I did not use any fancy methods to start germination after that.  They were just placed into a 72 cell starter tray with Jiffy mix.  I must say I am now not a big fan of this, and I think I will use other methods from now on.

For quite some time I thought I had about an 80% failure on my germination...

ajdrew said:
Steve, in some of your photos I see string.  Is that to measure and mark spots / keep rows straight?  Or are you using it for a little support? 

The black tubing?  That is 1/4" drip tubing.  I use it to both keep my rows straight and to water.  I took a push pin and poked probably 100 holes in it pointing at each plant.  Turned all the way up they will shoot water clear across the raised bed.  I have them turned down so they hit midway between the rows right at the base of the plants.

ajdrew said:
Things have gotten better for you since you first posted this, but want to share the two things I now do which have sped up germination for me tons.

1. Seeds 3 days in the fridge.  Read that it should be the freezer, but kind of afraid to go that cold.
2. Seeds germinate in incubator at about 95 deg. F.

The under the tray mats might help, but at 95 deg. F I have had ghost pepper seeds germinate in three days.  Not many mind you, but a couple.  Without it, ghost peppers are forever to germinate for me.

You can buy full size incubators used for about $300.00 on craigs list.  You dont need the egg turners so if you see ones with the turners for a grand, ignore it and just keep looking.  You can also buy the new plastic ones, much smaller, for maybe 40 or 50 at your local feed store.

A soak in weak tea solution in small zip lock baggies kept warm for 24 hours then into a heated propagation tray at 35 deg Celsius which I believe is about 95 F. .. Popped 12 / 12 Caramel bhut seeds in 5 days ..

Back