• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

seanw first glog (2013) - Racing the End of the Season...

Hello and greetings :) My first post here, and I'm prepping for my first major season growing. I've done a few small pepper plants here or there, and two summers ago I tried for some variety of ghost chili or other (the pop top cans you can get from thinkgeek), which turned out to look like ghost chilis, but were super mild (may have also been the fact that they were getting almost no sun in the apartment we lived in at the time, and by the time we got the house, they got outdoors just in time for the frost to hit).

I've got a heat mat and a 50 hole rapid rooter en route, and I'll be grabbing some cheapo work lights to give me some light. I also need to rig some sort of container to keep in the heat, they'll be going in my insulated-but-unheated garage until I move them into the garden, thinking either a styrofoam cooler or just putting that silver bubblewrap insulation stuff on a box.

In addition to some herbs and other garden veggies, here's my pepper list for the year:

HP22B
Yatsufusa
Tabasco
Paprika
Firecracker
Early Jalapeno
Moruga Trinidad Scorpion
NuMex Suave Orange Habanero
Chiltepin
Orange Hab
Bhut Jolokia
Red Savina Hab
Hot Cherry Pepper
Butch T Trinidad
Scotch Bonnet

I may have gone a bit gonzo on ordering. We haven't built our garden yet. This will be the second garden, the first is dedicated to berries, and got mauled by rabbits and chipmunks, even with fencing. The vegetable garden is going to be 6'x30', in three sections. Gonna stick peppers and some tomatos in one of the 10x6 section, the other two will be for the other veggies. I'm gonna have to break out some pots for the rest of the peppers. We'll see what happens once we get the garden together, though :) My current plan is to build a frame around the garden and cover it with 1" or 2" fencing, big enough for the bugs, too small for the critters.

Here's hoping all goes well!

Oof. Well, the good news is that I've potted up the first tray and a few things from the second. I moved the reapers and choco habs into the second tray, we'll see what happens.

The bad news...my wife spotted mold on the germinator, and banned it from the house. So, now it's in a small, 4 tier greenhouse in my garage. Temps are crazy low, again, as it was 48 degrees in there. Even with the 2x 60W incandescents and 2x 100W eql CFLs, it still felt cold. I'm going to hit up lowes today to try and find some stuff to get it warmer in there. I have a blanket over it, but...

I do have more space in the greenhouse, though light is an issue.

8498781724_777b4177b9_c.jpg

A kinda oldish shot of the greenhouse. Peppers are really taking off, they are much bigger, now. The seed tray is on the shelf above this one. I added some more light up there, as the seedlings were reaching. This shelf probably could use more light, but that's probably not going to happen, at the moment. Temp seems good. The left side zipper on the greenhouse already broke, it separated as well as tearing the material itself. Kinda cheap, but it's doing the job.

I got a tiny fan, battery operated, with a clamp, I'll be sticking that in there and running it periodically. I think I cooked some of the yellow bhuts, they were really close to the 60W incandescents. Backed it off, some, hopefully some survive.

I used a small electric heater in my GH last year...can serve as a fan also. Picked it up for $12 at Wally World. Sounds like you're keeping them moving!

8527150209_df84944a7b_b.jpg

Chinenseapalooza!

Rearranged the greenhouse, getting better light, this way. My germinator tray is above it...and is going okay. Not too happy with the temps in it, but I'm not sure what else I can do. I may buy another tray that has a lid, and just put that indoors for the next round. Hopefully by the time that tray is clear, temps will be up and I can rock and roll again in my garage.

Ha.............Chinenseapalooza"...I like that....soon to feature "Screaming Trees"

Plenty of true leaves with backups on those plants.....looks nice !

Hi Sean
My Annuum germination is going a bit slowly, but I have 3 Urfa Biber seedlings so far, so I'll definitely have some seedlings to swap. I want to give them another week or so to see if more come up... I'll let you know. Cheers

Those little dudes are cruising! Some really good growth there Sean!

Thanks, I don't actually mind the lower temps on that shelf. It's plenty warm to keep the plants happy, but not so warm that I'm going to end up with massive plants before I can get them outside.

Ha.............Chinenseapalooza"...I like that....soon to feature "Screaming Trees"

Plenty of true leaves with backups on those plants.....looks nice !

I need to actually catalog what I have in there - I have 3 or 4 of some of them, and 1 or 2 of others, but I can't remember which!

Hi Sean
My Annuum germination is going a bit slowly, but I have 3 Urfa Biber seedlings so far, so I'll definitely have some seedlings to swap. I want to give them another week or so to see if more come up... I'll let you know. Cheers

Hey, I only have one rocoto up-potted. I have a couple more stewing in the germinator, I'll check again to see where they are at tonight. They got off to an awesome start, but have been kinda slow after that. I'll let you know.

Stick,
I also have 3 rocoto seedlings surviving. 2 are really young, I'm hoping they'll get a little bigger, soon. Assuming that they appear to be in good condition in a bit, it looks like we've got ourselves a swap :)

The aleppo seller on SSE was out of seeds :( He had sourced them from the GRIN database, meant for researchers only (he does some other growing research with grains and things). He did send me some other seeds, though - Gernika, Kashmiri Mirch, and Pimiento Rubio De Mallorca.

I killed a numex suave seedling by uppotting it too soon and it getting a little too moist in the dirt. Ah well, I have others of that variety.
Also had a rocoto seedling probably bite it, helmet didn't come off. Down to 2 of those, so I still have the one to trade, Stick, the other one looks healthy, but no primary leaves, yet. Worst case, I can always trade you some seeds, next year.

Greenhouse was moved inside for the weekend, power has been flickering and the garage is unheated when we lose it...

The aleppo seller on SSE was out of seeds :( He had sourced them from the GRIN database, meant for researchers only (he does some other growing research with grains and things). He did send me some other seeds, though - Gernika, Kashmiri Mirch, and Pimiento Rubio De Mallorca.

I killed a numex suave seedling by uppotting it too soon and it getting a little too moist in the dirt. Ah well, I have others of that variety.
Also had a rocoto seedling probably bite it, helmet didn't come off. Down to 2 of those, so I still have the one to trade, Stick, the other one looks healthy, but no primary leaves, yet. Worst case, I can always trade you some seeds, next year.

Greenhouse was moved inside for the weekend, power has been flickering and the garage is unheated when we lose it...
This weekend would be a good time to swap for me if it works for you... pm me if you want to go for it, and we can find a place in Gardner to meet. Cheers!

Bought a pair of dual-bulb T8 fixtures, as I needed some more light. Now we're really rocking the light :) 10 bucks each from Wally World, so not bad. Didn't have daylight bulbs in T8s, so I got one each cool and warm for each fixture.

The new lights are a little low, so watering might be "interesting," but I'll figure it out.

I'm planning on getting my annuums in this weekend, as well as most of the rest of my veggies and my herbs. I have a third tray inbound, so that'll give me all sorts of room.

Had a third prik pop yesterday, so that's exciting, thought I only had 2. Billions of tiny peppers... I also may-or-may-not have a reaper...stupid thing has been just a green hook in the rooter for a month, now. I may move that one into a pot this weekend, we'll see, I need the space. I've given up on the white and chocolate habs, they've defeated me, this year. Next time, gadget!

Too late really to worry about making any more changes...but next season I recommend getting some of the seedling trays without drain holes. They sell them at most nurseries and home stores for about a buck each. That way the watering under the lights is easier. just pour the water in the tray and let them soak up what they need...as for the lights I have two of the very same fixtures on my top shelf on either side of the CFL strip. I am running one daylight and one 2700k in each one and they really do make a difference. I think you'll like your results!

Too late really to worry about making any more changes...but next season I recommend getting some of the seedling trays without drain holes. They sell them at most nurseries and home stores for about a buck each. That way the watering under the lights is easier. just pour the water in the tray and let them soak up what they need...as for the lights I have two of the very same fixtures on my top shelf on either side of the CFL strip. I am running one daylight and one 2700k in each one and they really do make a difference. I think you'll like your results!

That might work, I'd need a pretty big tray, though. I don't have to water the germ trays cell by cell, but once they move up to cups, I have roughly a 4x2' area full of cups that I'd need to fill. I'll keep an eye out for stuff that will fill it :)

That's the size of my shelf...4 trays fit perfectly side by side. Each one holds 18 of my 2.5" pots so 72 plants total.
gallery_5729_82_767602.jpg

Here the shelf only has one missing, but you get it...pull them out a bit and just fill the trays about 1/2 full of water and push them back in...Just a thought brother, and what you got going on is working so far.

That's the size of my shelf...4 trays fit perfectly side by side. Each one holds 18 of my 2.5" pots so 72 plants total.
gallery_5729_82_767602.jpg

Here the shelf only has one missing, but you get it...pull them out a bit and just fill the trays about 1/2 full of water and push them back in...Just a thought brother, and what you got going on is working so far.

I like it. Trying to get around my lights is going to be a bear. I also like the square shaped pots...red solo cups are cheap, but round isn't as efficient :)

Thanks...sorry for the hijack, but sometimes a pic does a better job explaining. Square 2.5" pots showing and then I also have square 5" pots...they fit 8 per tray. Very efficient use of space...I used the solo cups last year to start with, and they are just too tippy.

I've given up on the white and chocolate habs, they've defeated me, this year.
Hey Sean, I pried loose a Jamaican Hot Chocolate from the fellow I gave my redundant Chinenses to, so there's one of those coming your way this Sunday too.

Hey Sean, I pried loose a Jamaican Hot Chocolate from the fellow I gave my redundant Chinenses to, so there's one of those coming your way this Sunday too.

Awesome, thanks!

I'll be moving your rocoto up to a solo cup, shortly, and getting the others ready for travel.

8562151863_7f3e51b3c2_c.jpg

Started germinating the rest of my peppers, mostly annuum, but there's a bradley's bahamian and a tabasco in there, as well, both frutescens. The 5 cups of funny looking seeds in the front are onions, cumin, sage, tomato and broccoli, gotta get the rest of your veggies from somewhere, right? I'll be cleaning out my trays (Up to 3, now) and starting these in the rooters shortly. Also need to up-pot a couple things. The third tray is just gonna be dirt, for the onions and a few herbs.

I didn't take a list of what I have germinating, pepper wise, I'll have to get to that. Basically, everything listed above except for anaheim and something else...can't remember which, at this point. 40 varieties, between this round and the last, I think? Combined with the 5 (I think?) varieties I'm trading with Rick for, and the fact that I'm doubled/tripled up on a bunch of plants, there's gonna be a chili forest outside, all said and done :D

I ordered some grow bags from Discount Hydro, mostly 3 and 5 gallons, though I got a couple 10 gallons just for giggles, we'll see if I actually end up using them.

stc - no worries on the hijack, that's useful info. I might try and get some of those cheap aluminum baking trays for this year, should let me water a little easier.

Met with Rick today and swapped some plants, picked up a pair of the elusive Ursa Bibers, as well as a Jamaican hot chocolate, a korean gochu, and a krimzon lee paprika. Thanks Rick!

Back