Searing meat Help?

Txclosetgrower said:
That's part of the beauty of cast iron. You can use it on electric, gas, induction, campfire etc. They can be heated to ridiculous temperatures which is why they are so good for searing things. I'll have to show you how to make steak on one
Thanks mate, that would be very helpful, I know I've been cooking the steaks on the foreman for over 2+ years and it taste good, but as Emeril Says, Kick it up a notch.

PhatManDerek said:
Thanks mate, that would be very helpful, I know I've been cooking the steaks on the foreman for over 2+ years and it taste good, but as Emeril Says, Kick it up a notch.

Aint nothing wrong with a foreman grill, I love mine. Use it mainly for grilling veggies & chicken breast.

Basically for the steak, you take a nice fat ribeye or sirloin, as thick as you can find.

Pat the outside completely dry. Very important step. Put a drop or two of oil (canola works, don't use olive oil for this). Rub it all over the steak.

Sprinkle a bit of kosher salt & pepper on both sides.

Place your cast iron skillet in the oven, turn the oven on to 500 degrees and let it pre-heat.

Once the oven preheats, using a couple pot holders take the skillet out and set it on a burner on HIGH for about 3-4 minutes. The pan should be so hot you can't get your hand within about 5 inches of it.

Throw the steak on, time it for about 45 seconds, flip it. Another 45 seconds & flip again.

Put it in the oven and time 1min 30seconds (this is for medium rare for steak that is about 3/4" to 1" thick, you'll have to adjust the time based on size of steak)

Open door flip it one last time and let it go another minute & 30 seconds.

Remove it to a plate and tent with foil and let rest for 2-3 minutes before cutting.

You can also make a sauce out of the bits that stick to the pan:

After taking the steak out of the skillet, put it on a burner over med-high. Toss in some diced shallots or onion and sautee for about 30 seconds til they start to brown on the edges. Deglaze the pan with white or red wine & let reduce by maybe 1/2 or 2/3rds. Add about a tbsp of butter and remove from heat. Serve that on top of the steak.

Txclosetgrower said:
Aint nothing wrong with a foreman grill, I love mine. Use it mainly for grilling veggies & chicken breast.

Basically for the steak, you take a nice fat ribeye or sirloin, as thick as you can find.

Pat the outside completely dry. Very important step. Put a drop or two of oil (canola works, don't use olive oil for this). Rub it all over the steak.

Sprinkle a bit of kosher salt & pepper on both sides.

Place your cast iron skillet in the oven, turn the oven on to 500 degrees and let it pre-heat.

Once the oven preheats, using a couple pot holders take the skillet out and set it on a burner on HIGH for about 3-4 minutes. The pan should be so hot you can't get your hand within about 5 inches of it.

Throw the steak on, time it for about 45 seconds, flip it. Another 45 seconds & flip again.

Put it in the oven and time 1min 30seconds (this is for medium rare for steak that is about 3/4" to 1" thick, you'll have to adjust the time based on size of steak)

Open door flip it one last time and let it go another minute & 30 seconds.

Remove it to a plate and tent with foil and let rest for 2-3 minutes before cutting.

You can also make a sauce out of the bits that stick to the pan:

After taking the steak out of the skillet, put it on a burner over med-high. Toss in some diced shallots or onion and sautee for about 30 seconds til they start to brown on the edges. Deglaze the pan with white or red wine & let reduce by maybe 1/2 or 2/3rds. Add about a tbsp of butter and remove from heat. Serve that on top of the steak.

hey TX-

don't you get a lot of smoke doing it this way? I have a cast iron skillet and use it to make hamburgers, steaks on the stove, but it gets a little smokey. Not bad, but this way sounds like it would product a lot.???

peter pepper said:
hey TX-

don't you get a lot of smoke doing it this way? I have a cast iron skillet and use it to make hamburgers, steaks on the stove, but it gets a little smokey. Not bad, but this way sounds like it would product a lot.???

Oh it smokes HORRIBLY bad. All my neighbors know when I make steak.:cool:

peter pepper said:
hey TX-

How much is a little smokey?

Like the an outside grill smokey, incense smokey, cigarette smokey?

Or shit I caught my oven mit on fire smokey?

PhatManDerek said:
How much is a little smokey?

Like the an outside grill smokey, incense smokey, cigarette smokey?

Or shit I caught my oven mit on fire smokey?

Like 8 huge bong rips smokey

Well maybe not that bad....but pretty smokey.

Back