• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Seaweed Fertalizer

Anyone use it? I hear good things and I use weeds from the lake but there fresh water, not from the ocean. I just lay them on the soil and the worms eat it quick... but I filled a 5er with some I raked out 2 weeks ago, and topped with water and covered. I guess 3 weeks or so to break down, maybe a lil longer...

of course you know i make my own seaweed tea.

but, of more interest is, are fresh water aquatic plants of the same quality as ocean seaweed. i looked into this several months ago and didn't really find an answer. but on further investigation it appears, it really depends on what's feeding your fresh water aquatic plants. from what i have read, it appears no, ocean seaweed is the best. fresh water will suffice as a soil conditioner but overall ocean seaweed is the best.

here is what have learned with seaweed, i use dried seaweed and rehydrate it. but before putting it into my soil i have to let it rot, really turn mushy. if i just let it rehydrate and then blend it into my garden soil, my dry, arid temperatures turn the seaweed back into dried seaweed. hard crusty strips. i then dig this into the soil and wet thoroughly.

let me know if you want me to describe how i make a seaweed tea but you can go to plantea.com and they have instructions.

good luck and thanks for keeping our earth green.

I use Maxicrop seaweed, it's a commercially prepared mix but I LOVE IT !! My vegetables taste better when I use it. I water it in but more often I foliar spray. Plants love it and ask for it by name ; )

i use dried seaweed and rehydrate it. but before putting it into my soil i have to let it rot, really turn mushy. if i just let it rehydrate and then blend it into my garden soil, my dry, arid temperatures turn the seaweed back into dried seaweed. hard crusty strips. i then dig this into the soil and wet thoroughly.

let me know if you want me to describe how i make a seaweed tea but you can go to plantea.com and they have instructions.

I'd love to hear your method. On the plantea website, she steeps it like regular tea, with boiling water. Can you tell me more about how you rot the kelp? Could I add some dried kelp when I make worm casting or compost tea?

I haven't tried a parallel trial with freshwater vs ocean weed, but would assume both would help. The ocean environment provides more trace minerals I'm given to understand. A city near me uses a weed harvester to keep down aquatic weeds in two large lakes that get extensive recreational use. They compost them down and use them in tree and flower plantings around town, and they all look great.

I use it whole and fresh, and it dosen't last long... I'm sure there are some benificial minerals in it, even though it's fresh water... It is spring fed so there might be some. I migh pic some up from the beach next time we head over fishing, theres plenty there...

Back