• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Seed boxes, Label maker... a better solution needed...

I have a 24 slot clear seed box, looks like something you would use for fishing to store flies, sinkers, etc... not good when
you need to protect seeds from UV and to ensure the seeds stay in the slot intended. I have some that have been moved
unintentionally by simple movement of the box, not messing with the seeds in it. Clearly, this begs a better solution.

I have a brother label maker, which is more than adequate for my needs, the labels stick well and it has been reliable so far. Not expensive either.

What seed storage solutions do you use ? Pics appreciated...

Rhody...

Small zip locks, name the outside w/ a sharpie is all I do, then I put them all in a larger zip lock and I also throw in one of those packs that come in your vitamins to help keep them dry. Then put them in the refrig to keep em cool

Rhody -- If the only problem is the seeds moving around inside the box -- Go to your local craft shop or Walmart -- and in the beading dept. they have small plastic bead storage bags that have plastic seals on the top that are really cheap ( 100 for about $2 ) place the seeds in them and then place the envelope in your container. I do similar but use an old office filing cabinet drawer with hanging file folders with the various seeds labeled and placed in their folder. Here is a pic of my Thai Hot Ornamental seeds with labels on the small pouches for mailing and a larger pouch for keeping each type of seed separated then it gets placed in the file cabinet (the metal cabinet keeps the UV out). I printed the labels from a sheet of mailing labels on my laser printer including a pic of the plant and the pods the seeds came from labeled with type and year.

bhut2012001_zps91943591.jpg

All of your suggestions with seeds in small plastic bags are good, but trust me on this they can and do get lost.
I found a small baggie of Jonah seeds that slipped out of the lunch bag with velcro I used to keep em in.
I put them in the box and labeled it just before I took the picture for this post.

Plus when someone wants to trade seeds, the labels of everything I have are in one place. I like that.
I will try craft and art stores though, that makes sense. I am hoping someone following this thread has
found a decent colored box, a big one with tons of safe compartments, and where to get it.

Rhody...

+1. I do the same and then keep them in a tin. I got mine from office depot though. I think they were like around 10 bucks for a 250 ct box.
Yeah I just grabbed 1st link, here are 500 for 11.36 http://www.amazon.com/Columbian-CO540-4x3-1-2-Inch-Envelopes/dp/B001IZF7GI/ref=pd_sbs_op_1

All of your suggestions with seeds in small plastic bags are good, but trust me on this they can and do get lost.
I found a small baggie of Jonah seeds that slipped out of the lunch bag with velcro I used to keep em in.
I put them in the box and labeled it just before I took the picture for this post.

Plus when someone wants to trade seeds, the labels of everything I have are in one place. I like that.
I will try craft and art stores though, that makes sense. I am hoping someone following this thread has
found a decent colored box, a big one with tons of safe compartments, and where to get it.

Rhody...
Christmas ornament boxes are perfect, check out Michael's or other craft stores, even Walmart around the holidays.

what i do is get the small coin envelopes like said above and label them and then store them in playing card protector pages and put them in a binder

I use paper coin envelops and a clamp to hold the piles together and prevent them from coming open when not desired.

I have a 24 slot clear seed box, looks like something you would use for fishing to store flies, sinkers, etc... not good when
you need to protect seeds from UV and to ensure the seeds stay in the slot intended. I have some that have been moved
unintentionally by simple movement of the box, not messing with the seeds in it. Clearly, this begs a better solution.

I have a brother label maker, which is more than adequate for my needs, the labels stick well and it has been reliable so far. Not expensive either.

What seed storage solutions do you use ? Pics appreciated...

Rhody...

the problem i see with that if it is like the containers i have for other items, is if you drop it, and or it opens you have possibly lost a few seeds, but definitely mixed them up, if one of those dividers come loose, same thing

i like envelopes best, second by little bags, envelopes can keep them dark and dry, bags do not keep them dark, but can also retain moisture if there are any seeds that are not completely dry

being that you like them a bit more organized i would suggest combining small packages of your choice in with a larger compartment box like you have

Not the best method, but I keep seeds in the coin envelopes I received them in and keep collected seeds in ziplocs all inside an index card/recipe card box. I only have a few that are self-collected so labeling isn't much of an issue for me.

I thought about using the 35mm black film containers, i have not seen any around for a while but i have not been looking either...problem there is you have 50 containers laying around...one thing for sure you could drop it and the lid wouldn't come off.

Another fairly cheap option you might try is Pill organizers -- they come with 7 compartments with individual lids on each compartment to keep your meds separated so you could use several of them and label the tops !!

7216-L-1.jpg

Here's one with a nice binder that has 56 compartments and a nice carry case for $8.99

p104706b.jpg

JD,

I like this idea, ordered one of those ever so feminine tapestry pill holders, the other pill dispensers are bigger, more room for labeling for seeds types and dates, and you can put them in a bigger box which is nice. The downside, cost, a little more pricey.

The cute little case is fine until I have more than 60 seed types, then, I think I will switch to the 7 day boxes listed above and get a decent sized box for them. Thanks...

edit: the box comes in black too, so I went with that.

Rhody...

JD,

I like this idea, ordered one of those ever so feminine tapestry pill holders, the other pill dispensers are bigger, more room for labeling for seeds types and dates, and you can put them in a bigger box which is nice. The downside, cost, a little more pricey.

The cute little case is fine until I have more than 60 seed types, then, I think I will switch to the 7 day boxes listed above and get a decent sized box for them. Thanks...

edit: the box comes in black too, so I went with that.

Rhody...

LOL --- Yeah that Tapestry design is real Manly :rofl: (but as you noticed it does come in black as well which is much better !) Figure if you do get over 60 Types you can always go to a second holder as well (and come up with some sort of criteria for the dividing line (ie. one for mild - hot the other for Super hots or perhaps Alphabetical) -- The thing I like about them is you figure if they are made to keep Meds separate they should keep seeds pretty well ( It would be pretty bad if it let the pills get intermingled easily so hopefully you will not have problems with seeds getting mixed together !! ) and for the $10 it seems like a fairly cheap option to keep them organized and since you have the label maker should work out well.

Back