seeds seed drying

I have been told by members, to dry my seeds in a paper towel. I tried that, I will see how it turned out when I grow some more plants.

I put mine in separate glazed ceramic type bowls separated by type. I shifted them around a few times a day to make sure they didn't stick. I think I had them dry for a week

Last year I made the mistake of trying to separate 4 different varieties on a kitchen plate, and ended up with a lot of mixed seeds. This year, thanks to something I saw that Wicked Mike posted, I'm using the cheap paper plates from the dollar store and it's 1 variety per plate, with the variety name marked on the plate via sharpie. I generally let mine dry for at least a week, but occasionally forget and it may be 2 or 3 until I remember to bag them with no adverse effects so far.
As for most effective, I'm sure more knowledgeable folk than I will be along soon to help you there. I can only comment on what I've done so far.

Yeah I date and label the plate. One variety per. Its the only thing I use paper plates for.... ironic as I don't think its a very green practice to use disposable stuff!

Paper or styrofoam plates, paper towels, the tops of plastic containers, shot glasses, condiment bowl, sushi plate….. you get the idea. These are some of the objects I've used. Anything that allows you to know which is which (hey, just write it on a piece of paper and place it with the seeds) and also has good air circulation. 

What is "most effective" supposed to mean?  You can do it a dozen different ways, with the only real issue being not to leave enough flesh on the seeds and have the seeds dry so slowly that they start to mold, and of course if you use heat to speed the process up, keep them under roughly 100C temperature.

However since you asked... I don't like leaving plates sitting out everywhere so I have little plastic bowls, each with a paper label tossed in, sitting inside a cardboard box with a hole cut out of one end and a 12cm computer fan powered by a cell phone charger (5V/500mA) mounted on a hole cut out of the opposite end.   I wouldn't have bothered but I have plenty of spare phone chargers and fans.

I make up some shallow boxes out of cardboard about 5 inches square.I mark them with a sharpie and put them somewhere warm.

geeme said:
... styrofoam plates.....to know which is which ... just write it on a piece of paper and place it with the seeds.
Same for me, I use the plates from meat, mushrooms, etc. I put them as high as i can, in the kitchen, near the cooking machine, or even on the air exhaust machine (don't know the "scientific" name now...). Styrofoam keep them safe, never stick on it.

1. De-seed the pepper
2. Find some old newspaper
3. Put seeds on the said newspaper, and stash it somewhere out of the way and forget about it.
4. Planting season comes , find said newspapper with seeds
5.??????????
6. PROFIT
:dance: :dance: :dance:

I put them on a paper towel, labeled with the name of the type of pepper.  I let them sit for at least 2 weeks on my kitchen counter.  After 2 weeks they go into a baggie in a cabinet in my desk.  I've had great germination rates with that method.  I've had seeds over 3 years old that germinate fine.

With especially juicy seeds like those from fruit like tomatoes, avoid putting them on paper towels if you don't want to have to scrape each individual seed off the towel later, though they scrape off paper plates a lot easier than towels but still a plastic or styrofoam tray or container would be better.

Back