seeds Seed Germination Experiment

This is an experiment I did with 2 different seed starter mediums.  The top row is plain sphagnum peat moss from a bag; the bottom is a coco-coir based medium with humus, oyster shell, perlite, and azomite, called RG Tupur.  I think it's popular with the cash crop growers, and not necessarily as only a seed starter.  Anyway, in the end, I had 100% germination from all the Rooster Spur seeds, regardless of the medium, the RG Tupur seeds beginning to hook on day 5, the peat seeds beginning a day later.  I could detect no visible difference between the 2 groups. 

The reason I did this experiment was because I noticed some of my seedlings were stalled out.  Upon root inspection, I could clearly see that they had difficulty rooting through the peat pellets they were in, even though I always break off the bottom third of each pellet when transplanting into a Solo cup.  When I transplanted them into a different medium, they took off.  I remember having several stunted seedlings last season, but I didn't think to inspect the roots.  I believe peat pellets are the culprit, even though I squeeze them quite a bit when soaking them in warm water to ensure complete hydration.  And yes, I remove that webbing before transplanting.  Anyway, regular loose peat straight from the bag works at least as well, and I doubt the roots would have any difficulty penetrating through since it is loose, and the overall amount of peat in each cell pictured below, is much less than in almost any peat pellet.  The RG Tupur, which is very, very light, performed no better.  Someone here commented that you could germinate seeds in just about anything, even straight perlite.  I think he was correct.  As long as the medium is light/loose, it makes little difference what you use.  No reason to buy expensive seed starter mixes.  Just my opinion.

I've noticed the peat pellets seemed to cling to the roots of my chocolate habs. They never got to big even when I gave them sun light and water. Picked up some Sphagnum moss planed to use it for my fly traps. May decide to plant my seedlings in it after reading this.

ThePepperTrent said:
I've noticed the peat pellets seemed to cling to the roots of my chocolate habs. They never got to big even when I gave them sun light and water. Picked up some Sphagnum moss planed to use it for my fly traps. May decide to plant my seedlings in it after reading this.
If I had to choose between peat pellets, and loose peat, I would now use loose peat. I am a "former" peat pellet head, but, no more. If you decide to use straight peat, be patient because it takes a bit of time to hydrate at first. Once it moistens, no big deal.

I appreciate you doing this experiment! I used strictly peat pellets this year (most years I use primarily soilless mix). I'm seeing a huge improvement in robustness over past years, but I think a lot of that is that I'm being really careful not to overwater. Maybe I'll do some seed starting trials with round 3. 

reader said:
I appreciate you doing this experiment! I used strictly peat pellets this year (most years I use primarily soilless mix). I'm seeing a huge improvement in robustness over past years, but I think a lot of that is that I'm being really careful not to overwater. Maybe I'll do some seed starting trials with round 3. 
I doubt robustness can be attributed to a peat pellet, or most any starter mix, for that matter.  What soil/soilless medium you transplant into, plus fertilizing/watering regimen, and seed quality, are far more relevant. 

Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to imply that the pellets were the sole reason they're more robust; I've improved on watering and had a more controlled environment with better lights this year. And I think the lower temperatures to start helped.

As far as using the pellets goes, I think, after inspecting the roots, that the pellets might keep them too moist. I used a bit of broken off peat pellet on top of one of the cups just to fill it up (was at the end of a batch and didn't want to mix more up right then) and it's still moist after four days without watering. That seems kind of excessive to me. So I'm worried that I'll have trouble keeping them evenly watered with the "core" of pellet in the middle of my medium. Or maybe they'll really benefit from the extra water. I guess we'll find out! :)

If I get around to starting a second crop I will probably just use straight perlite since I already have the trays set up, and move them to solo cups when they look like they might tangle. Or just start straight in the solo cups. 

Back