• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Seed Germination

This is my first year trying to grow more than just Jalapeno plants. I ordered the following from pepper gal.com, Fatali, Peruvian Yellow, and Numex Twilight. I also found Habenero, Hungarian Yellow, and Cubanelle seeds and the local store. I started germination on all of these at the same time about two and a half weeks ago. I was trying to use the paper towell method Using half my seeds in case I needed to start over. I had the habeneros sprout really fast, Have about 90 percent germination with them.

The problem is with the other plants. I am seeing inconsistent results all the seeds have been kept on top of my Refridgerator for the warmth. But with my Fatali, peruvian yellow and Cubanelle seeds all I have gotten is just one sprout each, The rest of the seeds for these have not really done anything. The Numex twilight and Hungarian Yellow started to send roots out about 7 days ago but then seemed to stop growing, they havent actually sprouted leaves just a tiny little root has emerged from several of the seeds.

The questions I have are am I doing anything wrong or is this normal? And When is it time to start over to see if I have better luck with the next ones. more information if it helps is I live in Arizona Where the growing season is long, I will actually probably have to protect from heat in the hottest parts of the summer.

Thanks for any help you can give

Some seeds take longer than other do, as well as the quality of the seeds have better germination rates. Try making a humidity dome and trey for the seedlings. You might want to put a few seeds in soil or in pellets, to compare success rate. I find that using a seedling heat mat works very well. But is not required

Thanks for the help, I will try to germinate the seeds I haven't been succesfull with in soil. I found some coconut coir pellets I will try as well.
The link was very informative.
I had some success using the paper towels and liked that because I could track what was happening. The heat in my house is already sitting around 80 degrees most of the time because the AC isn't on yet, Already have highs in mid 80s. I don't have a way of checking the soil temperature but am afraid of adding too much heat with the house so warm.

Spend some time reading posts on these boards or, lo! use the search function. Two posts above yours deals at length with germination.

Your problem is not unique.

I just found the search function and yeah I should of searched better. This is a common problem. I have placed some seeds into soil yesterday to see what happens. Also it looks like the fatali are showing more signs of life, so I suspect I just need to have more patience than what I have been showing.

Thanks again for the advice.

Back