seeds Seed Starting/Grow Mix

Hey All,

I've been working with Millworkman to create an ideal seed starting / grow mix, and he's been very helpful. However, I have a couple of questions for you all. My goal is to create a seed starting mix that will also be suitable for growing in once the first "true leaves" come in. I know seeds don't need nutrients until then, but I only want to transplant twice. Once, out of the plastic cells into plastic cups, and once into the final pot to go outside.

Will this mix be suitable for growing in up until going outside?

2 part coco coir
1 part worm castings
1 part perlite

OR, would this mix be better for my cups?

2 part coco coir
1 part worm castings
1 part steer manure OR chicken manure
1 part perlite

OR, should I just transplant (into cups) into what my final mix would be?

1 bale peat moss (3 cu. ft.)
2 bags Miracle grow perlite (8 qt. ea.)
2 40lb bags Black Kow composted cow manure (40 lbs, roughly equal to 0.75 cu. ft.)
1 30lb bag Black Kow composted chicken manure (30 lbs, roughly equal to 0.56 cu. ft)

Thanks!

I use Sunshine #4. I have tried mixing my own from scratch, but this stuff rocks. I have mixed stuff into Sunshine #4. It does make a good starting point.

http://sunshineadvanced.com

This stuff has peat moss in it. It retains water pretty well without to much.
mx5inpa said:
I just buy Pro-Mix BX to start seeds and grow in it.

People make growing too complicated.
When I was a newbie, I was the same way. Way over complicated.

I do use only RO water on my seedlings. I do add Cal-Mag back in. I seem to get better sprouting rates on seed, stronger seedlings, and overall healthier plants. I had to start with RO water because of my Lucky Bamboo. This plant is so sensitive to Chlorine and Fluoride. I have just carried this good practice on. My Lucky Bamboo is like the Canary in the coal mine. If my Lucky Bamboo isn't happy, it is a early warning sing for my other plants. You can see the Luck Bamboo change in just a few hours with bad water.

A seed starting soil does not really need any nutrients so I think worm castings are a waste of time for seeding.
Once you move to potting them up yes I would use it but to get the seedlings started all you really need is peat moss and a little perlite and the perlite isn't really needed either in my opinion although I do use a little out of habit. I just bought a bag of OMRI listed seed starting mix at the local Kmart store and put a little coarse perlite in it and used it in my propagator.

OKGrowin said:
i've really liked the glogs with the guys using coir, 
maybe ask what he added
or 
this guy

i don't really like animal shit, i like your first mix the best.

Thanks OkGrowin. Wow, that's crazy how well that guys plants grew. Thanks for the info.

Proud Marine Dad said:
A seed starting soil does not really need any nutrients so I think worm castings are a waste of time for seeding.
Once you move to potting them up yes I would use it but to get the seedlings started all you really need is peat moss and a little perlite and the perlite isn't really needed either in my opinion although I do use a little out of habit. I just bought a bag of OMRI listed seed starting mix at the local Kmart store and put a little coarse perlite in it and used it in my propagator.

Once they get their first set of "true" leaves, will one of the three mixes I listed above be rich enough in nutrients to grow them in until I plant outside in April?

Thank you.

Helldozer said:

Once they get their first set of "true" leaves, will one of the three mixes I listed above be rich enough in nutrients to grow them in until I plant outside in April?

Thank you.
Absolutely! In fact I grew my peppers last season in a mix of my homemade compost mixed with peat moss and perlite and that was it for the entire season. I feed them compost/worm castings tea weekly and occasionally give them a little Earth Juice Bloom for some extra nutrients.

Proud Marine Dad said:
Absolutely! In fact I grew my peppers last season in a mix of my homemade compost mixed with peat moss and perlite and that was it for the entire season. I feed them compost/worm castings tea weekly and occasionally give them a little Earth Juice Bloom for some extra nutrients.

Thanks Marine, really appreciate the feedback. Woot, sounds like I'm set then. 

Back