• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Seed starting kits with heat mats & small grow lights

First, circling back to the original question about seedling starter kits, I've been using the Burpee Ultimate Seed Starter System for a couple of years, sold at burpee.com and also at Home Depot. It's kind of a piece of crap, in terms of construction quality and so forth, but it does do exactly what it's supposed to do - make it easy to get 144 cells of seedlings going and thriving (for me, that's 288 seedlings).

Second, lights: I do think this is critical. I first started seeds with T12s but then upgraded to a T5 rack. Here's what I started out with in my first year, the T12 setup:

badplants006.jpg

the problem with T12s is simply that they don't put out enough light in a concentrated area, so, at least for me, the seedlings ended up leggy and thin. This year I upgraded to a T5 system purchased from Hydrofarm, with 8 T5 6500k's under one fixture. Two pics:

001-10.jpg

016-4.jpg

The seedlings came out much, MUCH stockier and healthier, and their ultimate productivity in the garden by the end of the season was dramatically higher - in many cases, double the number of pods.

Rather than encourage a particular solution (e.g. T5's) I'd just say that you should really get the strongest lights as directly on to the plants as you possibly can. The sun is a strong light, and that's what seedlings are designed to have over them. GL

that setup looks EXCELLENT!, do you grow commercial? im curious what do you think of PLL's? i have a 220 watt PLL unit i built that fits perfectly over a standard size seed tray, works very well.

edit: bad spelling

Avon...when I first started seeds, I started out small...say 30 seeds...over the years it has grown into a full blown obsession of mine....

this is where i have ended up as of today...there are a couple of projects I have to complete before mid February to support more seedlings...

If you are interested, search the forum for "growrage" and it will show you the evolving process for the last two years....and it has a lot of information on lighting too...

germinator and seed planting work area...the germinator is thermostat controlled to a constant 86F and can support eight 72 cell trays at a time...it has two 4' standard T-12 40 watt fluoros in each chamber...in this picture, I am getting ready for some transplanting from the starter trays to 3" square containers..

020910a002.jpg

growrage...right hand side is "growbox", left hand side is for slowing growth down and waiting for plantout (or selling)

03-07-09c002.jpg

all I am saying is...the hobby will consume you...or at least it has me...

wow, another amazing setup. how long do you veg those seedlings under those shop lights? do they get leggy?
that just dosent seem like much light to me.

thanks

leginess is not an issue because I put the lights about 1/8" above the tops of the plants in the germination chambers...

each 72 cell tray gets 14 days max in the chamber, then they go to the growbox where I have eighteen 42 watt CFLs...they are on the 6 socket strip lighting I was talking about earlier...I am running a little over 3K lumens/ft2 in the grow box...this prevents leginess and promotes strong growth because of the fan in there...

AJ-just out of curiosity, since light is not required during the germination process, only heat does the placement of your fluorescents over the tops of the seeds in your germination chamber help the seedlings out significantly? Thanks, Mike.

AJ-just out of curiosity, since light is not required during the germination process, only heat does the placement of your fluorescents over the tops of the seeds in your germination chamber help the seedlings out significantly? Thanks, Mike.

don't really understand your question...

don't really understand your question...

AJ-it was a question reference your other post in this topic where you stated "leginess is not an issue because I put the lights about 1/8" above the tops of the plants in the germination chambers..."
Perhaps I misunderstood what you were referring to.
Mike

cool...because the lights are standard fluoros, you have to get them very close to the tops of the seedlings to keep them from getting leggy...if not they will get 2" tall with one set of leaves and fall over...

I ended up getting 2 4' dual T12 fixtures running 3 6500k 40 watt sylvania bulbs and one grow-lux bulb. I was unaware that T12 was getting phased out and that T8s are more efficient and put out more lumens and draw less energy at the time, unfortunately I didn't find that out until after the purchase. I could probably still return them and go a different route.

It's hard to find specific figures but I think I'm getting close to 3,000 lumens per bulb based on some numbers I've seen, probably about 2000 for the Grow-lux, but it supposedly puts out a more specific range of light for plants (mostly blue and red, and not much green, I know I need mostly blue for vegetating). Total cost was about $60. The light certainly appears very bright to me. How does this set up sound? My main concern is not getting leggy plants to transplant outside (probably at the beginning of May). I'm thinking about 3x12-15 plants(3 width-wise, 12-15 length-wise) in 16 oz plastic cups until transplant. I have some pro-mix seed starting mix, seeds, and equipment for germination. Sorry for all the questions, I just want to do it right.

Avon...when I first started seeds, I started out small...say 30 seeds...over the years it has grown into a full blown obsession of mine....

this is where i have ended up as of today...there are a couple of projects I have to complete before mid February to support more seedlings...

If you are interested, search the forum for "growrage" and it will show you the evolving process for the last two years....and it has a lot of information on lighting too...

germinator and seed planting work area...the germinator is thermostat controlled to a constant 86F and can support eight 72 cell trays at a time...it has two 4' standard T-12 40 watt fluoros in each chamber...in this picture, I am getting ready for some transplanting from the starter trays to 3" square containers..

020910a002.jpg

growrage...right hand side is "growbox", left hand side is for slowing growth down and waiting for plantout (or selling)

03-07-09c002.jpg

all I am saying is...the hobby will consume you...or at least it has me...

I definitely know what you mean about it becoming an obsession. I started out last year just wanting to grow a few bhut jolokias after I heard about them a few years earlier. I was always a capsaicin addict but didn't know about all the hundreds of varieties of chiles. I ended up buying a bunch of other chile plants from nurseries and found myself with a backyard of about 25 plants in 5 gallon buckets. This year I already have about 20 varieties of seeds ready to germinate, and that's not including the more common/easily available varieties I'll pick up locally. It's quickly becoming an obsession. I can only imagine what it's going to turn into someday when I get my own home (renting now) and have more space and income to work with. I may even end up like you some day. :D Hopefully the weather is better this year, because in Indiana last year it was awful for growing chiles. It went from complete cloud cover every day for a few weeks at the beginning of May (when I was attempting to harden off my plants), to a few weeks of monsoons, to a couple months of extreme heat and humidity and practically zero rain.

I've seen that growrage thread before, and I'm always amazed by your work. I will go back through it to check the lighting and other information though. Everyone's help is much appreciated.

http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/19180-t5-grow-light-deal/
you are going to want the most light per sq ft, and thats going to be a t5 bulb.
this thread JUST went up... i dont think you are going to get a better deal than that lol.

Update, I just ordered one of these lights, the 4' 6-bulb T5 system for $167 with free shipping. After some more research, this seems to be the ideal setup for my space and a great deal for the price. The same system runs about $250+ after shipping on amazon. I should have about 3,500 lumens per sq foot.

I don't know if the coupon code still works for the 8-bulb system, but the second code YP-6389 still works for the 6-bulb unit, so if anyone interested, it's a nice light for a good price.

Now if only my seeds would get here in the mail so I could started!

Back