• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Seed starting methods

I started my seeds 3 weeks ago.
This is my setup:
Park seed Biodome Double that has 120 cells in 2 floating styrofoam trays (60) in each
floating in 3" water and all vents closed
Miracle grow seedling mix
Tronic aquarium heater
Seeds from Redwood Seed Company 2006 (habs and assorted Hot pepper seeds)
Superhot seeds from RIDavid 2012
I have the aquarium heater at 78*

This is my first year trying this method and so far i have 15 seedling up, some hot and some superhot.
Easiest set up so far and have had no known issues.

How do you start your seeds?

coco coir pellets in an old jiffy greenhouse i have with the cell tray out. also i sometimes use tupperware type dishes with saran wrap rubber banded over the top.

Season is winding down so I threw a small piece of a Brain Srain pod in a gallon pot on my patio the other day.Dumped some warm water on it each morning and In 4 days I now have a handful of seedlings. Go figure. Maybe I will do ghetto the next time.

I went ghetto on some seeds around mid season to grow over the winter in the greenhouse. Pro-Mix in 2 oz solo cups, covered and forgotten about in the greenhouse. Ended up with 90% germ rate. Unbelievable! Not sure I am even going to break out the heat mats this winter.

Just about any method that keeps them moist but not drowning (beyond an initial soak if you want to speed up the process by a couple days) and between 75F and 90F should work fine provided the pH, fungus, and bacteria level isn't excessive.

Sandwich them between 2 damp coffee filters. After they sprout, I gently tuck them into small cups (with holes in the bottoms) filled with peat.

Mini greenhouse starter trays with heat mats. This year I did an experiment and put some seeds in Rapid Rooters and some in Sunshine Mix #1. Most varieties popped in both, but I had more pop in the Rooters than in the soil. There were a couple that only germinated in the soil and not in the Rooters. Some germed quicker in soil and some quicker in the Rooters. But for the most part the ones that germed in both show much more growth in soil than in the Rooters.

Back