• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Seed starting mix?

What should I buy? Im starting to think of next year and I did a search but couldn't find anything.

I was thinking of MG Seed starting mix but I know you guys hate Miracle grow.

I was looking online and reading reviews and I can see that people have terrible results with Jiffy seed starting mix.

I cant use jiffy plugs next year, so what do you think?

Hoffmans seed starting mix is really nice, I decided to buy some online after seeing AJ's success with it. Couldn't have been happier.

I've also used Black Gold seed starting mix with really nice results.

I can't hoffmans anywhere but online so black gold gets my vote since you can find it on the shelves at many hardware stores.

Brandon

i get it from the farm n garden store by the house but i hear home depo has it! next time im in there ill check n see!! its been doin good things for me especially with germination!! i had gotten some infinity seeds about 10 days ago and in about 5 days they were poppin up! its made my success with startin peppers go up to like 95%!!

For promix what should I buy?

I have a place thats about 30 minutes away that sells the organic one I think.

Hoffmans seed starting mix is really nice, I decided to buy some online after seeing AJ's success with it. Couldn't have been happier.

I've also used Black Gold seed starting mix with really nice results.

I can't hoffmans anywhere but online so black gold gets my vote since you can find it on the shelves at many hardware stores.

Brandon

Il keep that in mind thanks!

And also what hardware stores are you talking about big? I can't find it :(

I think I may try ProMix, I am not getting very good results with my little custom mix. My buddy Spongy has a bag of it, maybe I'll see if he will hook me up with a few cups.

As soon as I get some money I will get a bag. I think its too damn expensive to use as a potting mix, but for a seed starter, it will last for ages.

I think I may try ProMix, I am not getting very good results with my little custom mix. My buddy Spongy has a bag of it, maybe I'll see if he will hook me up with a few cups.

As soon as I get some money I will get a bag. I think its too damn expensive to use as a potting mix, but for a seed starter, it will last for ages.

I used fox farms for potting mix.. I think i spent like 80.
I read that 40 dollars of pro mix was like 3.8 cubic feet. But its compressed and opening and loosened up, makes 7 cubic feet. Which is a lot for me because I have a small garden.

.....but if it works for YOU, then go for it!

They are your plants after all! :)

I never tried it, and I do have the knowledge because its my second year, but I dont have the money for a second batch of seeds lol. Gotta get it right the first time :D

Reactions: nee
I used fox farms for potting mix.. I think i spent like 80.
I read that 40 dollars of pro mix was like 3.8 cubic feet. But its compressed and opening and loosened up, makes 7 cubic feet. Which is a lot for me because I have a small garden.

I never tried it, and I do have the knowledge because its my second year, but I dont have the money for a second batch of seeds lol. Gotta get it right the first time :D

I have nothing agents FFoF, but I wonder if it may be a little rich for seedlings? what do you think?

I dont mind Patio Plus as a filler, it is cheap and always at HDepot, 1 block from my house, but It is so rich. I worry that it can lock up my seedlings. FF, and Edna's are also very rich, witch is good once your plants are started, but I think ProMix is so light and fluffy that it makes a good starting mix. I have never tried ProMix as a starter but I think I am going to test my theory very soon.

I have nothing agents FFoF, but I wonder if it may be a little rich for seedlings? what do you think?

I dont mind Patio Plus as a filler, it is cheap and always at HDepot, 1 block from my house, but It is so rich. I worry that it can lock up my seedlings.

I said I used it for potting mix for bigger plants i dont think you caught that part. I personally wouldnt use fox farms for seedlings, not until the third set of leaves or so.

And also what promix should I get if anything guys o.o

I would say HP. It has like 25% perlite. Perlite is expensive so I would say it is the best deal. Keep it watered/fertilized more then reg potting mix. It is a soilless media thats needs added nutrition.

I haven't used any other brand than MG but that is changing now.
I refuse to buy anything Monsanto poisoned....I mean manufactures. :rolleyes:

Yea I may have got an old bag of MG potting mix and it made a lot of my plants yellow. I have had good results with it in the past but I will also never use it again.

I would say HP. It has like 25% perlite. Perlite is expensive so I would say it is the best deal. Keep it watered/fertilized more then reg potting mix. It is a soilless media thats needs added nutrition.

Well I can't get that because my nearest store for that is 5 hours away :D

Yea I may have got an old bag of MG potting mix and it made a lot of my plants yellow. I have had good results with it in the past but I will also never use it again.

Since they introduced us to such wonderful chemicals as Agent Orange, PCB's and Bovine Growth Hormone and are genetically altering crops I don't trust them to be selling a very safe soil or fertilizer. But of course that is outside the scope of this thread. ;)

Isn't it just peat and perlite? Must be super cheap to make.

I said I used it for potting mix for bigger plants i dont think you caught that part. I personally wouldnt use fox farms for seedlings, not until the third set of leaves or so.

Yes I didn't get that part sorry. I hear a lot of good things about BX, but I don't have experience with ProMix yet. Other than holding a handful of it and visually inspecting it.

Since they introduced us to such wonderful chemicals as Agent Orange, PCB's and Bovine Growth Hormone and are genetically altering crops I don't trust them to be selling a very safe soil or fertilizer. But of course that is outside the scope of this thread. ;)

Isn't it just peat and perlite? Must be super cheap to make.

Well MG potting and a lot of potting mixes contains composted forest products, peat, perlite, lime,ect.

The Pro mix is nothing but peat and perlite and lime but I found Pro mix HP would cost me more to make. It is also ph balanced with just the right amount of lime so no mixing or waitng around on a mix to balance. I think it makes a lot of sense as I have been using a bale of peat that I had and adding even just the perlite is expensive, then having to mix it and add the lime and wait, it makes sense just to buy promix.

Back