• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Seed Storage

Hello All,
I was wanting to know what is the best storage environment to keep seeds in that I cant use at this time because the lack of space. And how long can I keep them before they are no good?

I put my seeds in 3x2 inch ziplock baggies and label them. I then put them inside a sandwich size ziplock baggie and store them in the bottom drawer of the refrigerator. I really don't know for sure how long they'll keep, but I've had seeds stored like this for over 6 years that still germinated.

Alan

I bought alot of seeds this year as I wasn't really sure how well this whole adventure would progress. I basically bought double what I thought I would need. After reading around I decided to take the extra seeds and double bag them inside zip-lock freezer bags. I figure if freezing them is good enough for the Millennium Seed Bank Project it would suffice for me. ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennium_Seed_Bank_Project

I usually put mine in baggies with a slip of newspaper,"to absorb any moisture" I just keep them in a dark closet. I never tried the fridge or freezer, But I think there is a multitude of "right" ways.

Wow I didnt realize I could keep them that long... I always see expiration dates on seed packets and thought I was S.O.L. Good to know I can keep them for future projects.:P

I'm just storing mine in ziplock bags and put them all in a sealed box. I planted some 3 and 4 year old seeds this year but what I noticed was that the older seeds have lower germination rates. I figure they must lose viability as time goes on.

indeed everyone is very right, the main necessity a seed need to be properly stored is : 1.Lack of moisture 2. Cool temperatures

generally said keep them away from light, heat, and moisture. dark drawer is fine, but seeds between 35-50F are said to promote "dormancy" ensuring non-germination, which would be hard to do without moisture anyway

I personally do the little strips of newspaper inside mini-baggies with labels, inside a sandwich bag, inside a tupperware container in the bottom of the fridge....prob a little overkill, but hey, why not

I put mine in small plastic bags like you use for coins or stamps . Label each put in a larger container with some rice to absorb moisture and store in the refrigerator.

Peace,
P. Dreadie

I keep mine in zips in the fridge. I also toss in a few packs of desiccant that were save from shipped items like electronics.

Back