• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Seed Storage

So I have a little box the is meant for index cards. I don't have a pic but what I have done is labeled each index card with the name of the pepper, its hotness, and maybe one or two other pieces of info. I am outgrowing this box and literally squeezing seed packages into it. So what all do you pros and hard core seed gatherers use store and organize your seeds?

http://www.amazon.com/Snap-N-Store-Products-Collapsible-fiberboard-construction/dp/B004E2OYQ6/ref=sr_1_5?s=office-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1311869949&sr=1-5

http://www.amazon.com/Vaultz-Products-Two-Drawer-3000-Card-reinforcement/dp/B004E2NNEU/ref=sr_1_2?s=office-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1311869949&sr=1-2

just upgrade your box?

so maybe this is a dumb question, but how long can you store seeds for?

Wow those are kinda nice and super cheap. I have heard that you should keep seeds for a max of 5 years. I don't know if you can or should do it longer but since I have only been growing for three and most of my seeds are only 1-2 years old, So based on that I still got time. :)

I use really cheap plastic tackle boxes or if you want them a little more solidly built, you can get ones that are supposed to store beads at your local craft store :)

I use an opaque plastic index card box with tabs A to Z. I file the seeds under the letters, with info on the seed packet. I keep it in the refrigerator with a bunch of "Do not eat" Silica gel packs from all the purses, shoes, etc that my wife buys. Starting to get a little full may have to get another and do A-M and N-Z.

Last year people shared seeds and some sent in the little brown paper envelope? what are they and where can I get some????? I can't find them.

do you guys do like a fall or winter seed share?

like secret santa seeds?
Look up member halo_players_junkyard, he has a thread called US seed trading parcel. Give it a look over and it will give you a good idea of how it works. It's pretty cool, and you can get a ton of different seeds.

Thank you all for the help. That idea of getting a 3 ring binder (which I have a ton of not being used) and putting the seeds into coin envelopes and then into the baseball card spot on a page is an awesome idea that I may just need to do.

Back