• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Seed Viability Question

My H wanted Cayenne powder last year, so we allowed pods to dry. He never got to using them.
Would the seeds be any good from these dried pods? They're about 7-8 months old.

They should be fine, depending on the way they were dried, if they were dried by the sun, then i would say yes no problems, if dried in an oven or, dehydrator, then no.

Flex, do not be so quick to judge seed dried in dehydrator, all mine are dried in a dehydrator and they are viable. It all depends on what temp you dry them at. This question has been aked many times before.

Dale

That's cool. I may have a few surprises if I try to plant some of these seeds. They were outside plants with these nearby:
Sweet Banana
Hungarian Wax
Jalapeno
Orange Habanero
and 1 unknown

The unknown was marked Hung. Wax, but it grew 1.5 inch long light green pods that ripened to orange and grew upwards. Hotter than Cayenne, but not as hot as the Orange Habs.
I tried to overwinter it, but it didn't make it. :(

Anyway... looking forward to potential surprises. If nothing else, more Cayenne.
Thanks.
Froze a few pods though.

Back