• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Seed viability

Hi all,

I am not sure how the following peppers are dried?

http://www.hotsauceemporium.co.uk/shop/chilli-rubs-seasonings/162/psycho-peppers-dried-naga-jolokia/

I am trying to germinate a few seeds from them and whilst I understand this is not the intention, I am just curious how they are dried so I can work out if they will ever grow.

The peppers are great BTW, used them a few times cooking and they taste great even though they are not fresh!

Any ideas appreciated,

Paul.

I have and they haven't replied today. I know I could easily buy seeds but if I can eat and then grow then its win win!

Nice! Was just curious.. Lol. But like said above I'd prolly just try and germinate them. If they don't pop oh well if they're "just a added bonus". If not pm me and i have plenty of bhut jolokia seeds that came from a family in India i can share w you if need be.

I have about 50 seeds in the propagator in soil so I will know soon enough, just thought I would ask those who know a lot more than me :)

I have received a reply from the company today. The pods are oven dried so I guess the chance of any germination is slim to none. I will leave them in the propagator and see what happens anyway :)

I've gotten seeds to germinate from dried pods. It all depends on how they dehydrated them. Just throw a bunch in a wet paper towel, because the germination rates will be terrible if they even work.

Paul44 said:
I have received a reply from the company today. The pods are oven dried so I guess the chance of any germination is slim to none. I will leave them in the propagator and see what happens anyway :)
Yeah seeds are tough but ovens are tougher :) I've germinated a couple just to try, but they came out really weird. If they were dried with a low temp food dehydrator youve got a much better chance. Ive had germination rates around 80% with those. 

Back