• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Seeding Trays - Polystyrene vs plastic (?)

I'm off to the local wholesaler in a few hours and I would like to know this:

Are polystyrene trays any better / worse than plastic trays? (I'll also try the plastic cup method)

My supplier has some with 200 compartments - will this be too little space for the seedling? (I'm guessing not)

What other bits of equipment would you recommend I buy? (Nope, not the obvious - the items that you would never be without in your Grow Zone?)

Cheers! ;)

Dunno about the polystyrene vs. plastic but I can't see it making TOO much of a difference. I'll let someone else chime in on that...

But as for things I have/need in my grow zone, I think a handheld spray bottle is pretty essential for keeping germinating seedlings moist, especially if you're using a heat mat. I just went to the local hardware store and got one that holds a quart or so of water, and looks like one that would hold household cleaning products (but was of course empty and new). Misting allows you to keep the zone where the seeds are awaiting germination moist without having to pour water into the cells and risking dislodging the seeds from their warm happy place in the soil!

I'd go with larger cells, 200/tray is quite crammed. I like the 72cells/tray personally. I don't like to spray much since this often lead to too much humidity and rot or fungi. If you have a humidity dome you should be alright but once germination occurs, I'd get them out of the humidity and give them more light.
You may also want to get a heating mat/pad to speed up germination

I guess polystyrene would be a less wise choice if you plan on using a heat mat because it is insulating, also it would be harder to sterilize if you want to reuse it.

I'd also recommend at least one digital thermometer to keep track of max/min temps, and tags so you know what you planted where. Trust me - you will forget! ;)

FiveStar said:
Misting allows you to keep the zone where the seeds are awaiting germination moist without having to pour water into the cells and risking dislodging the seeds from their warm happy place in the soil!

thats why I bottom water...

fan...gotta have a fan...can't be without a fan...got to blow the fan on the seedlings once they have emerged 30 minutes twice a day...strengthens the stems...how hard to blow the fan?...as hard as the seedlings can stand...

AlabamaJack said:
thats why I bottom water...

fan...gotta have a fan...can't be without a fan...got to blow the fan on the seedlings once they have emerged 30 minutes twice a day...strengthens the stems...how hard to blow the fan?...as hard as the seedlings can stand...

I agree 100% and I...

FiveStar said:
Damn! who to tag next.........

TAG! YOU'RE IT AJ!!!

Great advice so far - thanks!

I have;
spray bottle
heating pads
digital thermometer
Plastic corrugated board and black marker, and an
oscillating fan! :lol:

Anyone else want to share their GrowZone's tips? ;)

Heh heh!

I was unable to find any germination trays between 45 and 200 compartments, so went with several of each.

Oh, I don't know if it was worth getting, but I bought a PH / Moisture meter as well.(?)

I neglected to ask what size Grow Bags you would transfer into once the seed germinates, so I bought 750ml and for the next transfer, 2.5l - Think that's ok?

Just got some more seeds, so the grow log is about to start...

I bet you bought the cheap ph/moisture metre that never works properly. I often test several of them in-store and they all have different results:( Just don't trust the results too much.

Back