• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Seedling Grow Lights

Only bad thing I see is a bag of MG potting soil that since it has ferts in it, may be a bit much for babies...

Otherwise, I love it. Very creative.

Mylar would work better than foil, and be more durable...I learned that one.

Man, If I ever get an actual house, I'm gonna MacGuyver the hell outa stuff. :D

I use the chain method...hang the light with small link chain what I use is 90 lb and costs $6.20 for 15'...most shop light fixtures come with a length of chain already so I am just extending the chain (when necessary)...picture...it may look like a pain to adjust the lights but it really ain't so bad...as you can barely see, the upper "S" hooks are made from a coat hanger...

021110c002.jpg

i have been using cheapo shop lights for about 10 years change bulbs every 3 years.works great for me. have two shelfs with two tubes each or one fixture per shelf.

While I don't grow (or condone growing) marijuana, I have found the Cannabis grow related websites very helpful in regards to lighting. It's a hotbed of growing tips under artificial light. For example, there's a compact fluorescent light (CFL) club at ICMAG.com. If you have the time, read all 67 pages worth of user experience. Some folks go to extremes to light their plants ...

Check out the CFL Club:
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=78046&highlight=CFL+club

While our peppers are a bit different, a plant is a plant; from what I have gathered, 6500K lights are best for vegetative growth and 2700K for flowering.

I've got my seedlings under two 25 watt, 2600 lumen, 6500K bulbs now. The light puts off very little heat and appears to be working.

you don't need to go to a weed growing site...all the information you need about lighting is here on this forum...the subject has been disected many many different ways...LEDs, Standard Fluoros, CFLs, HPS, MHI

just do a search on lighting or something like that and you will see what I mean

cool man...hope you enjoy your stay...there is more information here on every facet of peppers than I have found in one place anywhere...and if you can't find the answer you are looking for, someone on this site knows it I betcha

don't make pepper growing too hard...it is really a simple thing...germinate them, give them some light and they will grow, harden them off and transplant them to the outside after last frost

How much artificial light do you give your new seedlings? I've got the 6500K bulbs on 24/7 for the time being. At only 50 watts, it's not going to break the bank.

Is there such a thing as too much light for seedlings?

you will find out that I grow LOTS of peppers...I have 726 seedlings in their home growing now...I am pushing close to 3 KW 24/7 right now...my germinator has two shoplights (4 bulbs) per chamber and it has two chambers, my grow area is three levels of 8 feet each and each level has 6 shop lights (12 bulbs each for a total of 36 bulbs)...my grow box has eighteen 42 watt CFLs, 9 each 6500K and 2700K..check the link out I posted in another thread where I responded to you...

it's not cheap ultra...costs me about $7.20 a day (inventoried and I am using 2.5 KW) ...that is why I have gotten into the chili seedling business...got to have some way to offset the costs of my hobby...

from what I have read, lights 24/7 for the first 5-7 weeks of a seedlings light is good...after that, 20/4 is optiimum...I tried to find the article but can't right now...if I find it, I will post a link

I would like to read the article if you can find it. I live in LAs Vegas and can start putting plants out now. The days are in the mid 60's and nights on the mid-40's.

ditto on not making growing peppers too hard...it may have even been AJ on another thread that said peppers seem to benefit from a certain amount of neglect. case in point, my buddy and i obsessed over our best seedlings in the ground and in pots last season, and we chucked the leftovers in the ground behind his barn in some fairly crappy clay soil and didn't do ANYTHING to them the rest of the season. the obsessed over peppers produced pretty well, but the neglected ones grew out of control and were heavy producers. go figure.

Very cool. I plan on over-wintering my Chiltepins this year. I'll probably plant them in 5 gallon pots, bury the pots in the summer, and pull them out when it gets cold. Las Vegas does get frost in the winter. This should keep my plants alive year round. The wild varieties seem to do well potted.

I was running four 23 watt 6500k CFL bulbs immediately above my 72 cell greenhouse. The lights were approximately 3-4 inches above the top of the container, another 3-4 inches to the peat pots. I came home one day to find the inside of the greenhouse at 98F - I cooked all of my imature seedlings, only one survived.

I have since moved to a 4ft shop light with 23 watt 6500K bulbs and the greenhouse doesn't get over 80F, just a few degrees above the ambient household temp. I may forego CFLs in lieu of the tubes.

Back