• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Seedling Grow Stand Setups (Retail) Opinions

Howdy from Austin, y'all!

I took a year off. Not by choice, but by circumstance.

I'm getting a late start this year, but I'm doing it!

I've got a new place and room for a small seedling setup indoors. I'd done homebuilt stuff in the past and, well, I suck at it. I want something I can easily setup/breakdown each year that has plenty of light, but is simple and temporary.

Been looking at basic stands from iPower (GLT5XX4), Hydrofarm (JSV2) and Apollo (Purple Reign - good grief at the name), and was wondering if anyone had any experience with any of them. I'm primarily concerned with whether the light output will be sufficient. I was previously using standard 48" fluoros (not sure of T fixture number - but the standard) with wide spectrum bulbs. I had two ballasts and a total of four bulbs.

All these kits seem to come with a single T5 bulb. Was thinking of getting one 48" and one 24" for 144 starts.

Thoughts?

And good to be back. Looking forward to a new year, a new grow and a new yard to experiment in!

i'd just do the 2x t8 shoplight + 4' shelf from big box store. Can just take the lights off and put them in closet.. can use shelf for other stuff in off season.
or 400w hps and 1020trays on the floor then you just bring out the light plug it in. very temporary.

those kits are kinda dumb imo. overpriced and not very big.

juanitos said:
i'd just do the 2x t8 shoplight + 4' shelf from big box store. Can just take the lights off and put them in closet.. can use shelf for other stuff in off season.
or 400w hps and 1020trays on the floor then you just bring out the light plug it in. very temporary.

Me too this year and so far i am really enjoying it.  I had a pvc stand the last few years and i like this setup much better.

Edit: Oh, and welcome back.

parker49 said:
Me too this year and so far i am really enjoying it.  I had a pvc stand the last few years and i like this setup much better.

any link to that set-up from a store so I can see what you guys are talking about, thanks ?

juanitos said:

Man...I have broken so many lights with my terrible hanging/adjustment "options" that I could've eaten tuna every day for the last five years and ingested less mercury. ;)

Seriously, though. I've got (barely) more money than time right now (actually, I have a bunch of Amazon credit is what the story is). Mainly I'm trying to figure out if these single-bulb T5 solutions are going to be enough to get some good healthy starts. If not, I'll go back to duct tape and baling wire and sliced up hands (you have no idea how bad my engineering skills are). But if the light is enough, I want something simple. Plus, my math says it's actually cheaper to buy them pre-made.

All that being said...tell me more about the HPS setup on the floor. I might be game for that. How likely is it to kill or maim my children?

Chewi said:
Thought you fell off the face of the earth! Welcome back!

I...sort of did. Big D. Boo. But y'know, life goes on and I've learned a few things about myself and how to be a better person along the way. Hopefully that sticks. Also learned a lot about the legal system. Hopefully that's more like Trigonometry (or whatever they're calling it these days). As in...I'll never use it again. :)

Good to "see you", Chewi.

parker49 said:

Thanks, parker. REALLY good to be on here again.
SavinaRed said:
any link to that set-up from a store so I can see what you guys are talking about, thanks ?

Sure!

Couldn't remember rules on URLs, but here goes...

http://www.amazon.com/iPower-GLT5XX4-Fluorescent-Premium-Quality-CSA-listed/dp/B00T0CPI6A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1453823285&sr=8-1&keywords=ipower+head+start

http://www.amazon.com/Start-JSV4-4-Foot-Light-System/dp/B0001XLSGQ/ref=pd_sim_86_3?ie=UTF8&dpID=41M4eABcHgL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=116FK7ZRF9N5ZG93R7X5

http://www.amazon.com/Apollo-Horticulture-Purple-Reign-Growing/dp/B015JYJDNG/ref=pd_sim_86_6?ie=UTF8&dpID=411ODrEOxaL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=116FK7ZRF9N5ZG93R7X5

Eephus Man said:

Man...I have broken so many lights with my terrible hanging/adjustment "options" that I could've eaten tuna every day for the last five years and ingested less mercury. ;)

Seriously, though. I've got (barely) more money than time right now (actually, I have a bunch of Amazon credit is what the story is). Mainly I'm trying to figure out if these single-bulb T5 solutions are going to be enough to get some good healthy starts. If not, I'll go back to duct tape and baling wire and sliced up hands (you have no idea how bad my engineering skills are). But if the light is enough, I want something simple. Plus, my math says it's actually cheaper to buy them pre-made.

All that being said...tell me more about the HPS setup on the floor. I might be game for that. How likely is it to kill or maim my children?

I...sort of did. Big D. Boo. But y'know, life goes on and I've learned a few things about myself and how to be a better person along the way. Hopefully that sticks. Also learned a lot about the legal system. Hopefully that's more like Trigonometry (or whatever they're calling it these days). As in...I'll never use it again. :)

Good to "see you", Chewi.

Thanks, parker. REALLY good to be on here again.

Sure!

Couldn't remember rules on URLs, but here goes...

http://www.amazon.com/iPower-GLT5XX4-Fluorescent-Premium-Quality-CSA-listed/dp/B00T0CPI6A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1453823285&sr=8-1&keywords=ipower+head+start

http://www.amazon.com/Start-JSV4-4-Foot-Light-System/dp/B0001XLSGQ/ref=pd_sim_86_3?ie=UTF8&dpID=41M4eABcHgL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=116FK7ZRF9N5ZG93R7X5

http://www.amazon.com/Apollo-Horticulture-Purple-Reign-Growing/dp/B015JYJDNG/ref=pd_sim_86_6?ie=UTF8&dpID=411ODrEOxaL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=116FK7ZRF9N5ZG93R7X5
nice thanks ! I might order the bottom one

what size pots/inserts are you going to use?
4x 36 cell = 128 starts
4x 18 cell aka 3in pot = 72 (which means you need 8 trays)

the premades are fine if you will place the trays long ways like they did in pics.
aka 2 trays per 4'

most people double the flouro lights and do 4 trays per 4' on shelves like this
the shoplights usually have a convinient chain for hanging them and you can hang directly the the shelf with some clips..
post-10029-0-09241600-1426467020.jpg

HID would just be hanging a light from ceiling or something comes with little rope with clips on the end so you just clip it to something then lay the trays on the floor..
http://www.amazon.com/iPower-GLSETX400DHMWING20T-400-watt-Digital-Dimmable/dp/B00CQ8IHL8/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1453823970&sr=8-9&keywords=400+hps+digital

like this: 
CMH_2.jpg

Hmm. Ceiling hanging probably isn't going to work for me.

I usually start in 72-cell trays (two this year) and pot up to either the Solo cups you've shown or some 2.5" black pots.

Sounds like I may be able to swing it with two trays under a 48" setup, plus another 24 or 48" rig after potting up?

I just *hate* leggy starts. :)

SavinaRed said:
I actually got mine from a online yard sale thing here locally for $30 which i felt was a great deal.  But it is exactly the same as this http://www.lowes.com/pd_101933-1281-CR4824_1z11pf9__?productId=1000527&pl=1  I took three seets of t8 lights and hung them from one of the shelves with hooks and using chains to adjust the height.  I then enclosed it with a reflective material (refllectix or something similar) pretty easy but did take some time. The rest of the shelvdes are just storage, except the bottom one where i have some overwinters going on.  I plan to start a glog for the first time, i will have pics up there soon.

juanitos said:
they are 1 bulb t5 which isn't great but should work. would be better to get that 2bulb purple reign but its not prime =[

I can dig on that. Will probably do just that, juanitos. Thank you for the input/thoughts/ideas!

Back