• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Seedling leaves discoloring, turning purple

Being this is my first grow season, I had some issues with over watering, and over fertilizing. I think I have corrected these mistakes by watering less, and eliminating any ferts for now. But now, I notice this:
photobucket-39902-1362943572674_zpsb3e64410.jpg

photobucket-37787-1362943640237_zps987e5183.jpg

photobucket-42520-1362943678619_zps8186e416.jpg

Leaves look pretty crinkled, too. Bad...What's wrong, and what's the remedy? Thanks.

Are you sure, Patrick? I do hope that is all, but I really don't think my T8s are too close. I moved them up a bit, but I'm thinking there's something else going on here.

Here's a couple photos. Thanks for the attention.
photobucket-18101-1362967955298_zps5b9765a0.jpg

photobucket-18831-1362967977226_zps69dc55c4.jpg

Just to reiterate, I was over watering and over fertilizing up to about the last week. I think I've fixed that problem, I hope. I must say that looking at the roots now, I had no idea that such a small plant would have such long roots. I should have been bottom watering, I think.

Hey. Got your PM. Honestly the first photo there sort of screams leaf spot. The other photos do show some leaf scald. Mostly occurs when water droplets sit on the leaf surface under the sun or when you get some contact with highly concentrated nutrient solution while watering. That purple coloring spreading from the petiole to the blade can also occur when day and night time temperatures fluctuate drastically, or when there is a phosphorus deficiency. They honestly don't look unhealthy for the most part. Pick that leaf in the first picture off though. Leaf spot sucks. Spreads with watering and splashing. Where do you have them and what had you been feeding them?

Also, there are aphids galore on that first picture on those stems. May wanna get on that! :)

oh and 24/7 lights will do the purple bit too :)

Hey. Got your PM. Honestly the first photo there sort of screams leaf spot. The other photos do show some leaf scald. Mostly occurs when water droplets sit on the leaf surface under the sun or when you get some contact with highly concentrated nutrient solution while watering. That purple coloring spreading from the petiole to the blade can also occur when day and night time temperatures fluctuate drastically, or when there is a phosphorus deficiency. They honestly don't look unhealthy for the most part. Pick that leaf in the first picture off though. Leaf spot sucks. Spreads with watering and splashing. Where do you have them and what had you been feeding them?

Also, there are aphids galore on that first picture on those stems. May wanna get on that! :)

oh and 24/7 lights will do the purple bit too :)

S.O.B.!!! I never saw the aphids. Will pyrethins be okay to use?

The plants have been under T8s about 20 hours a day. I'm backing it off to 16 hours, and raising them a bit. I was using diluted 7-7-7- MG African Violet fert. I switched to 1/4 strength Bill's Fert, 6-11-5. I was over watering, so I was also over fertilizing, too. No ferts for a week. I hope this chili growing isn't going to be too stressful for me...

You'll be fine. Like I said, they don't look bad. You keeping them inside till spring?
I'd go light on the ferts, water when needed, raise up the lights, and look into some cool ass glogs here. Those plants will be pumping pods in a few months :)

Pyrethrin works well. Also, the numbers on that new stuff ya got are a bit unnecessary. As much as I hate to say it, I'd go back to the MG. No way you'll need that much P. A nice light, even, number range is great for pepper plants.

You'll be fine. Like I said, they don't look bad. You keeping them inside till spring?
I'd go light on the ferts, water when needed, raise up the lights, and look into some cool ass glogs here. Those plants will be pumping pods in a few months :)

Pyrethrin works well. Also, the numbers on that new stuff ya got are a bit unnecessary. As much as I hate to say it, I'd go back to the MG. No way you'll need that much P. A nice light, even, number range is great for pepper plants.

Yes, inside until Spring...mid-May. Can you recommend a good liquid organic fert? I took a magnifying glass to the first plant pictured. No aphids. I think what you're seeing is dirt from when I inverted the plant to show the roots. You're right on the fert splashing on the leaves. I was indeed a bit sloppy with some of the plants. When to water has been hard to determine. My moisture meter indicates "dry" when the soil is still damp. Not sure what to do yet. I can't keep popping the plants out to see how dry they are...I've been told not to water until the plants wilt a bit. What is your opinion on bottom watering? Thanks.

Bottom watering is good for a couple of reasons. One is it encourages the roots to dig deeper through the soil to get to the moisture and two, keeping the top on the dry side will prevent any fungus gnat laying eggs in it. Their larvae can wreak havoc on seedling roots. Speaking of roots those seem to be kind of sparse. Bottom watering should help.

I wouldn't use the MG African violet fertilizer any more, it may have things in it that don't help peppers. There are all kinds of fertilizers to choose from, do a google search. Most of them are water soluble. You want to find something that has NPK numbers close to each other. At this size go at about 1/4 strength and do it every other third or fourth time you water.

When to water is always tough to learn but there is a simple solution. Pick them up and feel the weight. Fill an empty cup up with your medium and keep it dry and another one with the soil nice and moist. Feel the difference in the cups. When your plants feel like the cup with the dry medium then you know it's time to water.

Bottom watering is good for a couple of reasons. One is it encourages the roots to dig deeper through the soil to get to the moisture and two, keeping the top on the dry side will prevent any fungus gnat laying eggs in it. Their larvae can wreak havoc on seedling roots. Speaking of roots those seem to be kind of sparse. Bottom watering should help.

I wouldn't use the MG African violet fertilizer any more, it may have things in it that don't help peppers. There are all kinds of fertilizers to choose from, do a google search. Most of them are water soluble. You want to find something that has NPK numbers close to each other. At this size go at about 1/4 strength and do it every other third or fourth time you water.

When to water is always tough to learn but there is a simple solution. Pick them up and feel the weight. Fill an empty cup up with your medium and keep it dry and another one with the soil nice and moist. Feel the difference in the cups. When your plants feel like the cup with the dry medium then you know it's time to water.

Thanks, Patrick. When I bottom water Solo cups, how far should the water wick up into the soil? 1"? Halfway?

I would think about halfway. That should let you take a few days off between watering. Take a peak at my glog. I use two solo cups. The one with the plant has four holes along the side next to the bottom. That goes into another solo cup and I use a large packing peanut between them to allow for excess water to sit. I water by pouring it into the second cup and then placing the plant into it. I fill the cup about 25% of the way. I really couldn't tell you how high up the water goes but I know I can get three-four days before I have to water again.

Back