• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Seedling Panic.

Well folks I have seedlings that need to be potted up and have run out of potting soil(no funds cuz of bills). Is there anything you can suggest about using garden soil? I am that desperate because these seedlings will count for half my crop.Any help would be great.These seedlings are half my tomatoes,peppers and a few eggplants.

Kevin

Not totally sure because this will be a first year garden. However the onion sets I have planted are doing well. There is some clay but not much.

Kevin

even if there is a fair amount of clay (like in my back yard) if you have decent soil and you put in the effort to till it up and break up the clay so that the roots can get through then you shouldnt have too big of a problem, my tomatoes grew great last year and this year before i put some of the peppers in i found out there were blocks of clay beneath the soil i'd laid down ha. so i broke it all up and we'll see how it goes. composting works great too if thats an option

Home Depot here had bales of Premier Peat Moss for $9.99 - 3.8cf compressed. About 7 cf loose.

If the plants are just seedlings and not hardened off yet, ya might wanna nuke the soil first to kill nasties that are likely in it before you bring it inside...not doing that is how I got mass aphids and soil pests indoors once. I'd been given a bag of potting soil and unknown to me, it'd been sitting on uncle's back porch all spring...ended up being a cesspool of life I didn't want.

Hydrogen Peroxide (1 tsp per gallon or so) in the watering can might be good too since ya don't know what fungi/worms might live there. :)

Back