• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Seedling Question

Hello, pretty new to growing peppers and I have a concern. Should the leaves for my seedlings be doing this? If they're not what should I be doing differently? recently it's been warm enough to leave them outside for the night and while I'm at work( at night it maybe only gets 70f and during the day its recently been sunny with 60%-90% humidity and the temperature has been 80f-90f. The dirt they sit in is an organic compound from a brand called Burpee. It seems really light so it soaks up water like mad. And I usually water the plants when the soil is dry usually consisting of me sticking my finger in to feel if it is dry. Unless this is normal for maturing seedlings then I can sleep easy at night. Usually in the evening I put them inside in my closet with an LED grow light above with a box fan blowing on them at the lowest setting.

pepper 1.jpg

peppers 2 (2).jpg

Your seedlings look very healthy to me. My question is, where are you going to grow them? Indoors or outdoors? And what climate zone? It is getting a little late to be starting seeds for outdoor plants. And you have got a ton of plants! Good luck with them.

I'll be growing them outdoors as the weather permits, and during winter I will take the strongest and most productive plants and keep them indoors here in the closet. My climate is the great lakes area I live in Michigan.

First a disclaimer: I live in SC and I am not familiar with MI conditions. That said, I would get the seedlings outdoors pretty soon. You do not have a long growing season, and I think you will be lucky to produce pods this year. Think about overwintering as many plants as you can handle.

You will need to harden off the seedlings when you put them outdoors. But that is another subject.

I've been letting them sit outside while I'm at work and usually for the rest of the day untill the sun goes down behind the house, I'm just worried if I could possibly be leaving them out in the sun for too long

So a little update, my plants have been sitting out in the sun for about 2 days now, I didn't water them since the soil was still kinda moist, but the leaves are still curling upwards it seems, is it possible they need some nutrients? Or could this be a result of transplant shock when I moved them out of the egg cartons to the the bigger pods?

Back