• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Seedling Questions

[SIZE=10.5pt]Hi All,[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]New to the forum, but I've been doing some searching and can't get the exact answers to my concerns so I thought I'd start a new topic.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]I'm in Sydney, and it's still reasonably cool (20C / 68F) outside right now, so I've been growing some seeds inside on a heat pad and germination tray. I'm in a situation now where I've had 7 out of 26 sprout. A couple of the first ones are at 2 inches now (still just the cotyledons) and I’m thinking I should be taking them out of the germination tray to start exposing them to wind, but not off the heat pad (as inside it can range from 15-20C) which is probably a little cool still.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]The room my seeds are in has a skylight, so they get light during the day fantastically, but as they’re not directly underneath it (I’ve got them growing on top of a cabinet off to the side) the bigger ones are already bending towards the light. Given I’ve two cats that eat plants I need to have them either in an inaccessible location or in a contained tub.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Questions:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]1)    [/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt]I’m thinking as a quick solution to remove the germination tray lid and just glad wrap (cling-film for Americans?) the seed containers that haven’t sprouted to keep the moisture/humidity in. This will give the seedlings room to grow and air exposure, whilst still benefiting from light.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]2)    [/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt]When should I move the seedlings off the heat pad and put them directly under the skylight? When they have a few more leaves? (I’m planning to repot them soon into paper cups so I can rotate them away from the light so they don’t twist as much).[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]3)    [/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt]I’m thinking about picking up this (https://www.bunnings.com.au/naturallife-69-x-49-x-160cm-4-tier-premium-greenhouse_p3321076) so I can start migrating them into small pots and outside – I figure this would still keep them warm, and I can expose them to air most of the day before zipping them up at night…again not really sure when I should do that though.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]I’m trying to avoid getting growth lights as I’m relatively space poor inside at present. Next season I’ll potentially upscale I think.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Appreciate any insights![/SIZE]

Sev

hey there, 

firstly. you only need the heat pad for germinating. Once they have "hooked" i.e. first sign of life, you can take it off the heat mat and just leave on a windowsill or somewhere else with a bit of light.

Im in Auckland which will be colder than where you are. I just leave my seeds in the hot water cupboard for a couple weeks till I get some hooks then stick them on the windowsill. Done. Holding temp at 20+ C is only really important for initial germination. Once they have popped they will grow. Just the colder it is the slower they will grow. its going to start warming up now so don't worry about it. Just dont leave them out overnight till its a bit warmer.

second, once they have sprouted / hooked then remove any glad wrap etc that you may have covering them. The glad wrap is useful for keeping moisture and warmth in during germination, but once they have sprouted that extra moisture can lead to fungus / disease. Use the glad wrap only during germination.

last thing i would say is don't water them too much/ dont fuss over them too much. cold soggy soil = rotten roots.

EDIT: and 2 inches is very tall for a plant with only cotys. best practice is to put into the light at the first signs of life. e.g. I leave mine in a dark cupboard during germination. As soon as they "hook" they come out of the warmth/cupboard and onto the windowsill (light). otherwise they will get long and lanky searching for the light. As above, once germ'd, light trumps warmth. it will still grow (slowly) in the cold, but its not gonna grow well at all with no light!

Thanks NZ,

Would you say once sprouted, re-potting into something a little larger and then outside into that greenhouse I linked the best bet? Of course bringing them in at night and just putting them out again in the morning. As they all pop just keep shifting them out like that.

Or would you just keep them under the skylight until a bit hardier and migrating them out when they have adult leaves?

Cheers!

Either, or, should be fine. Really it wont matter that much at this time of year. In a month or so it will be warm enough for them to be outside full time anyway. Sounds to me like you started at an ideal time.

Personally, at this time of year, I sometimes take mine outside and leave them in the sun during the day if im sure the weather is going to be warm and fine. If I have any doubts they stay inside on the windowsill.

I would not pot them up untill they have at least a few "true" leaves. They are too fragile when they are really small (and a pain to move more pots around). and when they are a bit larger you can damage some roots a bit separating them and it dosent really matter. Do that with a sprout and it may be game over.

Iv gotten lazy now and I just throw 10 or so seeds in a small pot (about 10cm dia at the top of the pot) with some dirt in it and let them sprout / grow. Once they get a few true leaves ill tip upside down, break up the soil to separate plants and repot. Don't do it until they have at least a couple sets of true leaves. 

In regards to that thing at bunnings. IMO you will outgrow it quickly. It may allow you to leave some things outside overnight a little bit earlier but thats about it. Wont make any difference if you bring them inside at night anyway.

I would personally just move them around to where the sun was, playing it by ear. I would not bother with the bunnings thing and don't stress to much. Just make sure they are not in the dark when they sprout and you will be fine.

For example, I put 10 seeds in one pot. I will take it out of the hot water cupboard (which is warm but dark) at the first sign that ANY of the seeds are sprouting and place on the windowsill, which is much colder..but has some light.

Just added some photos of my seedlings (that are outside getting some sun).

http://imgur.com/a/RNbz2

The first image has some droopy seedlings - not enough water or too much? The others are just showing the others that are up. A little leggy right now, but I'm hoping lots of sun will strengthen them. The soil looks a little damp as I've just misted the containers that havent sprouted - wasnt game to water the others yet given the droopiness.

Are those two gone, or might they bounce back?

Sev said:
Just added some photos of my seedlings (that are outside getting some sun).

http://imgur.com/a/RNbz2

The first image has some droopy seedlings - not enough water or too much? The others are just showing the others that are up. A little leggy right now, but I'm hoping lots of sun will strengthen them. The soil looks a little damp as I've just misted the containers that havent sprouted - wasnt game to water the others yet given the droopiness.

Are those two gone, or might they bounce back?
I think they need water. Those tops ones are looking pretty dry. Problems come when they are kept continually wet. Looks like your doing the right thing though letting them dry out before watering. And your soil looks like it will drain well so should not get too waterlogged. 

You dont need to worry too much about them getting "leggy" at this stage. When you repot them, just repot them up to their neck. e.g. so their first leaves are just above the soil.

Back