seeds Seedlings are sick. Need help

Hi all. I currently have 4 seedlings in solo cups, and  up until recently they'd been doing really well and looked extremely healthy. Over the last few days however, some have started to look unhealthy, with yellowing leaves and brown patches on the leaves. I have been battling white flies on them, but have that under control. I usually water them when I water my mature plants, which is roughly every 2 days, or whenever the mature plants start to wilt a little. Could this be caused by over watering the seedlings? Or is it something else? Any info is appreciated.

Seedlings showing yellowing and brown patches
20130929_091925.jpg

Other seedlings amongst these still look healthy
20130929_091929.jpg

Not sure if this is your issue but I think they are staying wet for too long, over watering. You can see green algae or mold on at least one of the cups that has a sickly plant. I would let them dry out to where you notice a weight difference with the cup. Pick them up when fully watered to gauge the difference. 

+1 to overwatering. Keep in mind that each plant - even with mature plants - uptakes water at its own rate. Some uptake faster than others. Don't take the slight drooping leaves of one plant as a sign that all should be watered. It's kind of a PITA not to water all at the same time, but your plants will be healthier and produce more if you listen to each one individually. 

You are possibly overwatering your mature plants, too. I grew up in Houston, and so have a good idea of your grow conditions - very hot, very humid, sometimes too much rain, sometimes too little rain. I get that sometimes it really is necessary to water daily or on alternate days. But unless your plants are all of the same variety, you may find that some droop and others don't, if you observe closely enough. My douglahs and aji habs, for example, droop much sooner than any other varieties I've grown. If I watered the others as frequently as I water these, the others would be drowning. 

Also - it looks like you've got the beginnings of fert burn on those young plants. If you're watering them with the same fert strength you use for the mature plants, it's going to become a problem. Back off the ferts for the small plants for a few waterings, and when you resume, use at about 1/4 strength until they start branching.

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Not sure if this is your issue but I think they are staying wet for too long, over watering. You can see green algae or mold on at least one of the cups that has a sickly plant. I would let them dry out to where you notice a weight difference with the cup. Pick them up when fully watered to gauge the difference. 
If you're talking about the green on the white cup, that's actually a picture on the outside of the cup. That one's actually a margarita bucket from a restaurant here that I used for the seedling lol. Never knew about the weight difference way to check. Will try that out for sure. Thanks!

geeme said:
+1 to overwatering. Keep in mind that each plant - even with mature plants - uptakes water at its own rate. Some uptake faster than others. Don't take the slight drooping leaves of one plant as a sign that all should be watered. It's kind of a PITA not to water all at the same time, but your plants will be healthier and produce more if you listen to each one individually. 

You are possibly overwatering your mature plants, too. I grew up in Houston, and so have a good idea of your grow conditions - very hot, very humid, sometimes too much rain, sometimes too little rain. I get that sometimes it really is necessary to water daily or on alternate days. But unless your plants are all of the same variety, you may find that some droop and others don't, if you observe closely enough. My douglahs and aji habs, for example, droop much sooner than any other varieties I've grown. If I watered the others as frequently as I water these, the others would be drowning. 

Also - it looks like you've got the beginnings of fert burn on those young plants. If you're watering them with the same fert strength you use for the mature plants, it's going to become a problem. Back off the ferts for the small plants for a few waterings, and when you resume, use at about 1/4 strength until they start branching.
Thanks for the info. I don't water the seedlings with any ferts, so the only ferts they're getting is what's in the potting mix I'm using. Could that still cause the fert burn? This is the potting mix I'm currently using-http://www.lowes.com/pd_236310-79138-POTMM16SG_1z0yhva+1z1406m__?productId=3353952&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1%26page%3D1&facetInfo=Sta-Green
Would I be better of getting a non-fertilised mix and fertilising myself?

rebelgrower3 said:
For seedlings its better to use a mix with no ferts to start them they don't need much when they are young.
Thanks for the info. Looks like I'll be taking a trip to get some new mix for them this afternoon. 
If I apply ferts myself, what would be the best option? I have fish emulsion and bloom boosters. I know the bloom boosters won't help the seedlings, would the fish emulsion mixed at 1/4 or 1/2 strength be a good option?

My plants went through it too, i also dont know the exact reason but all the leaves will get dry and fall and only the stem will be there
After a week the growth tip starts putting new growth

Should water plants independently, as each one starts drooping. Also, pruning, moving into a slightly warmer place and no ferts will help with the leaves as is. A quick antibacterial spray should stop any fungi or bacteria that might be growing in the soil.

It appears that the diagnosis of overwatering is correct.  When roots don't function properly other problems start appearing - nutrient deficiencies and may be wilting. You could use "No-Damp" fungicide, which is systemic and will be helpful when you transplant again. I hope you have holes at the bottom of these cups, to drain away excess water.  Holes will prevent overwatering. I feel, the seediling now are at a stage when you could tranplant into larger pots or ground -- and much of this problem should disappear soon.  I noticed in your photo of healthy plants, there is some insect feeding - please check your plants and find what insect(s) are involved.   VB-MB

VB-MB said:
It appears that the diagnosis of overwatering is correct.  When roots don't function properly other problems start appearing - nutrient deficiencies and may be wilting. You could use "No-Damp" fungicide, which is systemic and will be helpful when you transplant again. I hope you have holes at the bottom of these cups, to drain away excess water.  Holes will prevent overwatering. I feel, the seediling now are at a stage when you could tranplant into larger pots or ground -- and much of this problem should disappear soon.  I noticed in your photo of healthy plants, there is some insect feeding - please check your plants and find what insect(s) are involved.   VB-MB
Yeah definitely have holes in the cups. Drilled 5 on the bottom and 4 in the sides. I've noticed the holes in the leaves, but the only bugs I've seen on them have been white flies and assassin nymphs. Haven't checked at night though so there's a good possibility of slugs or snails being the culprit. Thanks for the info. Going to be looking for some bigger pots for them soon.
cruzzfish said:
Should water plants independently, as each one starts drooping. Also, pruning, moving into a slightly warmer place and no ferts will help with the leaves as is. A quick antibacterial spray should stop any fungi or bacteria that might be growing in the soil.
Thanks for the info. Seems like independent watering is going to be the go for them. Will monitor each plant individually. Plants are already outside, so can't get in a much warmer place lol. Will look for some antibacterial spray when I get the new mix.

Wait for plants to get leaves back before spray, and get a bit bigger. Sometimes the spray focuses the sun a bit and burns the leaves, other times it is a bit toxic to seedlings.

cruzzfish said:
Wait for plants to get leaves back before spray, and get a bit bigger. Sometimes the spray focuses the sun a bit and burns the leaves, other times it is a bit toxic to seedlings.
Thanks for the info. Will be doing this in the late afternoon when it's not as hot, hopefully less stress that way.

Back