• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Seedlings getting tall

MoWhiskey said:
 Want that just blow them over??

Not if you bury them up to the cotyledons.  And what heatofmiami said.  Oscillation of the herbaceous stem helps to produce more secondary cell walls.

heatofmiami said:
your plant needs wind to help build the stem nice a strong to support all those peppers you want

chsy83 said:

Not if you bury them up to the cotyledons.  And what heatofmiami said.  Oscillation of the herbaceous stem helps to produce more secondary cell walls.
Here is a pic
[/URL]">http://

Should I have planted them deeper??

Some variants are just naturally lanky/leggy.

I planted Kung Pao chilis this year and they are super-leggy even when grown alongside several other varieties and given the exact same care and lighting.

2dazm9e.jpg

The Kung Paos (several mixed in on the top tier, right-hand side) look like tall sticks compared to everything else.

fwprpx.jpg

yea like he has set up ^get a starting station going they stretch to far to find the sun when there brand new seedlings  get a nice thick short stem going let it grow out not up by keeping a florescent or other non heat light right next to the plant  then after a few weeks in the light they will be able to go out in the dirt where u can bury them down a little bit then they will strengthen up in the new bigger container

MoWhiskey said:
All mine are outside in a shade house.
Do I need to cut the sunlight?
Do I need to move them inside?
Just the opposite. Gradually harden them off by starting with short periods of direct sun light than slowly increasing the time in the sun.

A gradual increase in the sun now will let them build up a "sun tan" and prevent sun damage and give them the light they are craving. Like those of us in the north need to build up a tan in the spring to keep from burning.

KingLeerUK said:
Some variants are just naturally lanky/leggy.

I planted Kung Pao chilis this year and they are super-leggy even when grown alongside several other varieties and given the exact same care and lighting.

2dazm9e.jpg

The Kung Paos (several mixed in on the top tier, right-hand side) look like tall sticks compared to everything else.

fwprpx.jpg

KingLeerUK makes a good point, what varieties are these, MoHwhiskey?
MoWhiskey said:

Now I'm getting more cornfused :think: .....What do you mean by topping???

IDK about topping this early . . .

MoWhiskey said:

KingLeerUK makes a good point, what varieties are these, MoHwhiskey? Reaper,Butch T,Ghost,Taz. Habanero

IDK about topping this early . . .OK what does IDK mean....

I don't know
But, yeah, those varieties shouldn't be that lanky . . . with the possible exception of the Taz hab.

Back