• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Seedlings spring with seed casing

When a seedling springs up with the seed casing still firmly attached to the top of the plant, is there anything you can do to remove it safely? I have tried genty to remove it to free the leaves but usually tear the top of the plant clean off lol

Soak it with water often to try and soften the seed coat then try and pull it off. Usually when mine pop up with their hats on I ditch them cause I always screw them up anyway.

My success is 50-50. I keep a drop of water on the hat to moisten, and sometimes I take some very sharp small scissors and cut 1/3 of the seed casing if it's away from the leaves. Once soft I can often gently pull it off and the plant grows to be healthy. Just as often it won't soften and won't slide off so if I don't damage it, I coninue to keep the casing moist to see if the plant will work itself loose.

If it stays on too long I toss the sprout because the development becomes too stunted.

If you leave them alone and keep the humidity high (put the top back on) they will shed the seed caps. All these shed their caps.

Always opt for less intervention with chiles.

crop3400.jpg

IMG_3399.jpg

Will the humidity be harmfull for the seedlings that have already sprouted with leaves?
I have a Jiffy seed starting greenhouse that holds 72 pellets.

Look at the picture I posted.....they have leaves and were not harmed by the high humidity.

I generally keep them in high humidity until they have their first or second set of true leaves.

what i do is take sharp little scissors and clip around the edge of the seed, you might get some of the leaf but that is ok, I don't think i killed any that way.

I either try to give it a little pinch to open it up, but if that doesn't work I usually just use a pair of small scissors like a few others have mentioned.

Back