• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Seeds cooking in hot greenhouse! OK?

Hi all.

My buddy at work and his wife have a huge garden/farm they work hard on every year.

He told me today he left all of their assorted veggie seeds in the greenhouse without knowing.

They have been in there all week and its been 95 and very humid here the whole time. He is worried he killed them and is fearing a divorce!!! (not really but who knows)

They are all pretty standard seeds for all kinds of greens and veggies bit it was a fair amount. From what he says they are just in the original paper envelopes (think burppee) some then in ziplock bags.

Whatcha all think?

And yes, I offered to fill the propperty with super hots next year if needed!!!

Thanks

Most of them will likely be okay.  Different seeds have different tolerances to heat.  As long as they didn't actually get wet and start sprouting, they should be fine.

Is it 95 in the greenhouse or outside because it could have been 110 to 115 inside if it was 95 outside how was the humidity inside the greenhouse?

Yeah its 95 OUTSIDE of the green house. Very humid here so its gotta be at least 107 in there id bet. They are dry. I told him some probably didnt make it but my guess was a lot did.

Just wanted to see what others thought

The reality is he probably shortened the life span of those seeds. The other reality is, if he takes care of his seeds proper from this point forward they still have a good germination rate over the next couple of years. I'm from Florida so I know humidity. A week at higher humidity probably didn't do much damage. A month at high humidity probably would make a signicant impact on germination rates.

Back