• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

favorite Seeds From a Favorite

In 2012, a butcher in a local shop gave me two pods from his stock.  They were slender orange or red pods (dried) which he said he had grown from pods brought to him by a friend from Asia.  The two pods were full of seeds and I have grown plants from them for the last two years.  They produced a pod much like a Thai Orange; a bright green when unripe, ripening to a light orange.  My butcher friend said that in forty plus years of making sausage, these were his favorite for spice.  Flavorful and spicy.  I agree.

Well, the seeds are about gone now.  I probably have a dozen left from the original 2012 gift.  But this past year, I grabbed a few pods from the most isolated plant that I had and dried them for their seeds.  No way to know if these seeds are true or if they hybridized.  In any event, I plan to grow some plants from them this year.  I have a couple packs of 30 of them that I'd like to send to some of you so that you can try as well independent of mine.  I'd like for you to just let me know what you get from them and so on.

PM me with your mailing address and I'll mail the seed packets to you.  I'll be eager to see what I get from mine and what you get from yours!  

Update at 5:55 P.M. Eastern Time:  I've already had a couple folks call for them so they're gone now.  We'll post the results later this season.

Big Mike Brown

http://www.knot2worry.us

DSCN0626.jpg

An update on this topic.  At this point, I would say that the offspring from the plant I am trying so hard to preserve in it's true form is looking much like its parent from 2014.  Below is a side by side comparison.  These photos of course are before any pods ripen.  More will be known when ripe pods are compared.  The good news is that I have a healthy plant from the very original seed stock isolated way back on the back of my property.  These plants produce many pods with many seeds so if things go well, I should have many seeds for next year that we can count on as being true.

Best regards,
Big Mike

1415c.jpg

Back