• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Seeds from frozen peppers?

Hi everyone,

So I recently decided that I would like to plant additional red habaneros for next season, but I have frozen all of my pods and didn't harvest any seeds. My question is has anyone every tried to plant seeds from pods that had been frozen and, if so, did they sprout? It's an interesting thought because cells are frozen all of the time, I just don't know if pepper seeds can be frozen as well. My thought is to cut open the red habaneros (I've got a ton of frozen pods still left over), cut out the seeds, let them thaw/dry out for a couple days, and them plant them. Will it work?
Anyone have any experience with this unique experiment?

The freezing causes water to expand. Assuming that the seeds were slightly moist, the expanding of water would damage the inside of the seed. I don't think they will germinate when frozen inside the pod.

i tried it once with frozen wiri wiri peppers i got from a Guyanese friend , they did not germinate and from what i gather the freezing process kills the embryo, this might not be set in stone at best its touch and go, do a test planting, i have had seeds that where in pods survive being tilled into the ground then went through a full winter freeze and grew into some really nice plant give it a try if you think its worth it to you, but i personally would just get new seed and red habs are a dime a dozen

thanks your friend Joe

Generally they won't germinate, but there is always the exception. I know there have been a few reports of success

I will have to look, but I may have some Trinidad Congo seeds I could send you...

When I was a kid, we had a mason jar of pumpkin seeds that we left in the freezer for 2 years and forgot about. When we found them we thought "might as well try..." and got about a 50 percent germination rate. Maybe different for peppers though.

Back