• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Seeds germinated and planted, how much sun?

Picked up some Serrano and Cayeene seeds last weekend, seeing as it stays hot so late in the year here in Florida. Not even sure about Serranos, but only tried them green, won't they ripen red if you leave them on the plant, tried a red jalapeno the other day and it was much better. The Serranos have already germinated and I just planted them this morning. Should I let them have only filtered sun? If so, for how long? I would imagine full sun would burn them to a crisp or am I wrong? First year grower, plants I have now I bought, so these are my first from seeds. Thanks for any help.

Picked up some Serrano and Cayeene seeds last weekend, seeing as it stays hot so late in the year here in Florida. Not even sure about Serranos, but only tried them green, won't they ripen red if you leave them on the plant, tried a red jalapeno the other day and it was much better. The Serranos have already germinated and I just planted them this morning. Should I let them have only filtered sun? If so, for how long? I would imagine full sun would burn them to a crisp or am I wrong? First year grower, plants I have now I bought, so these are my first from seeds. Thanks for any help.
080411183105.jpg
080411183333.jpg
My patio and the window in pic face SE the seedlings have been on patio for awhile and its hot as hell here in the swamp. They get about 6 hours of direct screen filtered sun in the morning, this time of year would murder them if I put them out in direct sunlight

+1 on 6 hours...peppers take full sun...and if you read what full sun means, it means at least 6 hours a day...but, 6 hours in 110F heat is killer so you can imagine my poor plants that are in that heat from daylight to dark...

So no need to condition them to the sun this time of year? Spring time sun wouldn't be so brutal, but with the heat index now it's like 110.

When I start peppers in the summer(july august) I keep them in the shade most of the day. I try to get a little morning sun ( maybe 2 to 4 hours), but that is it. Go Gators ! :beer:

I always acclimate new starts to full sun. Filtered sun for couple weeks, then full sun.

Serranos can get by without the late afternoon sun. They are very tasty when red.

I'd put them one east side of the house in the shade for two week. Let them get some morning sun then for another 2 weeks then you can put them in the full sun.

I moved them around all day today, luckily my backyard has alot of filtered sun and wont have to leave them in total shade, the sun is so little it should be really good. The seeds I got were from Walmart before they sent them back. They were Ferry Morse. I put about 30 in the wet paper towel/plastic bag method and all of them germinated. I was impressed. Only used 14 of them, used 30 seeds not thinking they would all germinate, which they did in 5-6 days. Now waiting on the cayennes, noticed a couple were sprouting today.Fun,Fun.

Back