• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

harvesting Seeds Harvested from grocery store peppers

quick question about growing different seeds. I have some chocolate habanero seeds i have been waiting to germinate since i planted them on 4/8. I bought the seeds from a reputable dealer online. I then planted some Orange Habanero seeds i harvested from ingles (our local grocery store) on 4/18.

So my habanero seeds from ingles started to germinate today which is one week later. Does anyone know why these seeds would sprout so much faster fresh out of the pod? Do Ingles peppers use the same steroids as Mark McGuire? I am a total noob at all this fun but didnt find any related posts searching the forum except one about the fact that germinating harvested seeds from the store will work. I also planted Yellow Bell peppers harvested from a store bought on 4/8 and they germinated like crazy.

On 4/8 i planted Yellow Bell peppers, Chocolate Habanero, Bhut Jolokia. (yellow bells from Ingles, rest of seeds from online source)

526299_795940726682_44106138_35888562_231711608_n.jpg

On 4/18 i planted Orange Habaneros and here they are starting to germinate already. These pics bellow taken today (Left Chocholate Habs, Right Bhut Jolokia, Top and bottom Purple Jalapeno, Dead Center Orange Habanero. White cup yellow bell)

4-25.jpg

The Orange Habs poking out (5 pellets under the marker)

HabsGrowing.jpg

The Yellow Bells and Purple Jalapenos that have already been transplanted (Bells left, PJs right, Superhots on windowsill)

4-25purpjsyellowbs.jpg

Fresh "podded" seeds will normally sprout faster than dryed older seeds, providing the peppers are picked somewhat ripened. The riper the better.
Peat pellets are fine to use providing they stay moist, not soaked. Do not let them dry out, either.
I'd recommend using a clear humidity dome...that helps keep the moisture from evaporating by condensating. You can also place the tray inside a plastic trash or a clear garment (dry cleaners) bag.
Different c.chinense varieties can vary in germinating time. I've had some sprout in as little as 4 days and as long as 3 weeks. You do need to keep the trays in a warm area if not using a heat germinating mat. The mat is not necessary but it does warm up the soil and speeds up the process.

Good luck with your seeds and keep us informed, the coco habs are one of my favorites

Greg

Thanks for the info Greg! I find it difficult to keep the pellets at good moisture levels even inside the mini-greenhouse with heat mat underneath. The seedlings on the edges of the house get the most moisture and seem to germinate faster. I am sure by next year i will get the watering down.

Back