• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Seeds turning black with freshly ripped pod promblem

Ok all, i am having a promblem and I have no clue why it's doing it. They only seem to be happening with my brainstrains only. But it seems
as the pepper is ripening on the bush, as soon as it turns red, i pick it and deseed it within 2-3 days, but when i cut some of them open the
seeds are completely black. My last batch of 160 peppers, 50 had to be that way.

Also, i have notice that some of my brainstrains on the plant are soft, while others are hard during all phases of the ripening process.

The odd part, it only happens with these brainstrains, they have happened with other varieties, but thats when the pepper was bad also.

So any help, clues, or resolutions to prevent it would be great appreacted.

Has to do mainly with overwatering and the seeds not developing properly. They can be black even before they ripen when they are still green.

There are other factors as well but that's the most common.

I’ve only seen this once in one of my pods and I chalked it up to me allowing it to overripe. That said, what Justaguy and bluemeanietsi said makes much sense to me. Let us know what you determine to be the cause.

Overwatering can be an issue. But your description of some of the pods being soft makes me wonder more if you aren't giving it sufficient calcium. Blossom end rot (often referred to as BER) is caused by insufficient calcium. The first stage is softening of pods, usually starting at the blossom end, and if it goes too far, the pods will start to turn black, too. The softness starting at the end is most noticeable with longer pods, such as cayennes - since brain strains are small, it make be happening more to the whole pod just because of size, or it may be that you only happen to notice it when it gets to the point it's affecting the entire pod. Botanicare has a product called CalMag which I and many others on this site use, though there are other brands with good calcium content, too. Often any fertilizer intended for tomatoes have sufficient calcium for peppers, as peppers are in the tomatoe family, if CalMag isn't readily available to you.

I had an entire crop of habs that looked great from the outside, firm, orangish-red ripe and opened them up and had to dump all of them.

Back