selling at farmers markets

I decied to post this here becausse I got no repies or many views in the other forum. I wondered what the federal and florida laws were for selling produce at farmers markets. I am located in florida and plan to sell plants and produce (peppers, tomatoes, eggplant, garlic ,herbs) at my local farmers market this summer. I know what permits I need to sell plants but what about produce? I could find nothing about this online. Are there any laws I need to be aware of or can I just buy a space and start selling?

Letme know

macmanmatty

We didn't need any permits to sell at the Farmer's Market in Camden, but the law differs from state to state. What flies in South Carolina might not in Florida.

Take AJ's advice and contact your local extension office.

I'd call what ever office you need to do, most likely you'll neeed a license to sell raw fruit & vegetables. you need one here, even just to sell produce at the end of your driveway on some county road away from the major citys. as for farmers markets it'd be a must & depending on some citys (if they're really money hungry or pricks) they might even want you to get a license to sell in their city ?

chilehunter said:
I'd call what ever office you need to do, most likely you'll neeed a license to sell raw fruit & vegetables. you need one here, even just to sell produce at the end of your driveway on some county road away from the major citys. as for farmers markets it'd be a must & depending on some citys (if they're really money hungry or pricks) they might even want you to get a license to sell in their city ?

and what office is that?

I'm sorry I dont know, I dont sell produce. but just start calling some places & they'd direct you to the right office.
a person down the road has a stand at the end of their driveway (in the country) & on their trailer/stand they have their license framed in & nailed to the stand for whoever stops by - its a honor system for paying.

Where are you going to sell at in Florida? What Market? I am in the same boat trying to sell salsa at the markets in Orlando/Daytona. In my investigation I have not seen a whole lot of "requirements" other than show up and sell.

In Ohio, no permit is needed to sell fresh produce or plants. Canned goods are usually a different story. I *think* honey is about the only exception. Otherwise, you need a license, scales - with a sticker on it - and a boat load of other stuff.

Around here, all Farmer's Markets list their rules and licensing requirements if needed.

Mike

In NJ, as long as the roentgen units don't exceed 200, you are good to go. You do have to supply your own Geiger Counter though, which has to be recalibrated monthly, and you have to have the current recalibraion documents on your person at all times.

DEFCON Creator said:
In NJ, as long as the roentgen units don't exceed 200, you are good to go. You do have to supply your own Geiger Counter though, which has to be recalibrated monthly, and you have to have the current recalibraion documents on your person at all times.

You're shitting us right?

Txclosetgrower said:
Nope. I'm intrigued by the fact that it is illegal to pump your own gas there though.

And we have some of the lowest gas prices in the nation. H*ll, I paid $1.39 for premium on Monday. I guess it does pay to have a large amount of refineries in your state.

Txclosetgrower said:
Nope. I'm intrigued by the fact that it is illegal to pump your own gas there though.

It's nice to just pull up to a pump in 20 below weather and slip a ten out the window and say ten of regular please and not have to get out of the car.

DEFCON Creator said:
And we have some of the lowest gas prices in the nation. H*ll, I paid $1.39 for premium on Monday. I guess it does pay to have a large amount of refineries in your state.

It also helps to know where the testing port for finished gasoline is at the Amerada Hess Refinery in Port Reading. I've dipped into it once or twice in my life.:hell:

Back