Selling Bhut Jolokia's

Well that depends. how much weight are we talking about? are you selling them retail or maybe bulk to stores? basically you can charge as much as you like.

I don't have a big crop this is my first year growing them. I have been giving them to people I work with to see if they like them. No one around here seems to know much about them.

I have a website and I charge $10 dollars for 3 full dried peppers...
www.****.com You are lucky! Mine didn't produce any peppers this year... To wet in the spring, to hot during the summer! Couldn't make them go this year... :(
Do you rape everyone that walks by or just the suckers? $10 for 3 dried pods. Hey, if they'll pay it more power to you!

Wow $10 for 3 dried peppers? I picked up a lb of dried powder for $30 bucks a few years ago. I have probably used less than 5% because they are so hot.

There is someone local to me that advertises Bhut Jolokias on craigslist for $2.50 per pod or 5 for $10. I couldn't tell you if they sell them or not.

I can somewhat see the justification for the prices. Popularity and long growing season can drive up the price if done for profit. But the popularity of it really drives the price peopleare asking.

I have grown them.
Now how much should I ask for them?
sell them for whatever you want to, there is no set price for them, its pretty much what people will pay. if you do a search in the marketplace you may find what others have been selling their super hots for and get an idea of what a "fair" price for them is. good luck with selling them

Wow, people are selling them for that much. A few years ago I was selling them for $5 a pound at the end of the season and still had a hard time getting rid of them locally

Wow, people are selling them for that much. A few years ago I was selling them for $5 a pound at the end of the season and still had a hard time getting rid of them locally

I think the problem with the prices are the fact that it is a niche market. A supermarket will have a REAL hard time selling even 1 lb of bhuts. I see my supermarket charging $3/lb for habs, and the couple pounds they pick up at a time goes bad before they all sell. No average family is going to cook with bhuts :mouthonfire: . My mother won't put more than 1 jalapeno in an entire pot of chili.

Now, if you can find the right buyers... that's a totally different story. Find the right festival or a good sales location near a college campus and you likely won't have trouble selling the suckers at $1/ea or more. You'd have to target chiliheads, folks looking to pull some pranks, or people trying to show off. They're tough to find without good advertising.

Sell them for what you want, but at the end of the day it comes down to how much people are really going to want to pay.

Definitely a niche market, supply and demand situation. I actually find nagas/bhuts to be more productive and easier to grow than habaneros or basically any other chiles, so in terms of costs to produce they should be cheaper(for me anyways) but there is no local demand and I personally don't want to start mailing out fresh pods

Do you rape everyone that walks by or just the suckers? $10 for 3 dried pods. Hey, if they'll pay it more power to you!

Yeah! I do sell them for that much... Guess what? They sell more than my seasoning does and they are award winning! Have the blue ribbon to prove it... Can you? :crazy: They sell here locally dried in packages that are probably at least a year old and they look burnt from drying, they sell 1/4 oz for $6.99

Back