misc Selling Flavoring

How is it going everyone? I have searched online for the past 2 days and have yet to find anything solid that can help me. Hopefully some of you all can be of some assistance. I will start off by saying that I have looked into co-packers but, believe I would be able to save money packaging myself. Problem is I cannot find any info in regard to california regulations.

My flavors are both savory and sweet and have at most 4 ingredients. Since they are dry mixes I have found that there might be more leeway when selling from home.

Lastly, is there a type of company I can contact that will help in mixing the blends to to make sure that calories per serving are kept the same?

For example I have a sweet flavoring that uses chocolate flavoring, sugar, milk, and I am assuming I would need a non-caking agent. Is there a way to find the best ratio of each ingredient when making larger batches?

As you can probably tell I am new to this and have only made small quantities for myself using flavor samples I have recieved from different companies. The process seems complicated but, it is something I want to see through.

Welcome, Matthew,

One first step is to contact your local health district. They can tell you what you need for regulations.

There's a company in Seattle called Market Spice that will work with you to develop your recipes. You should have the recipes pretty finely tuned with ingredients in grams if possible. Market Spice can do test batches in 1 pound sizes, packaged individually. They can give you a price for the test batch based on the ingredients, packaged as you want. Dealing with spices mixes can be a little tricky when packaging, Humidity and other issues come into play.

Practice a lot, have a TON of friends, family, and others try it and give you feedback.

Good Luck~
Salsalady

Back