• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue?
    Then ask in Identification.

Semi flacid habanero

Hi,

I've recently set up a DWC in my apartment and am growing some Red habs. I started these guys in some jiffys, then transplanted to the bubble bin once roots showed from the bottom. It's been almost a month and things look good, overall. however, I have noticed that there is some major ribbing and an accompanying lack of rigidity to the leaves. MY first thought was pests, but I see no discoloration or critters upon close inspection (on both sides of the leaves). I'm using DNS17 at a metered concentration of 1.4 EC. The pH is ~5.8.

This is my first time growing habs in a DWC, so was wondering if this is typical, or indicative of a potential problem?

Thanks!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48059985@N04/5902959909/in/photostream/

This may sound like a stupid question but how far are the roots into the water? If it has been a month, and judging from the size of it the plant must have been fed but my instant reaction on seeing the pic is that it is thirsty. Limp and flacid leaves means not enough water.

I know with DWC that you have to top feed until the roots grow down into the reservoir. Maybe the level has dropped below the root zone and it can't get any water?

I say give it a good water from the top with some of the stuff from the bucket and if it perks up straight away then the problem is clearly access to water. If it stays limp then the solution is tainted or the plant is diseased. If the pH is ok then check the temp of the root zone.

i agree with mega

not enough water

the leaves lack a shine and there is a slight flat gray appearance to the leaves

i would also say not enough water

Thanks all.

I raised the level of the water in the bucket. There are several roots that have grown into the water, and more are on the way. The water was about an inch below the bottom of the basket within the lid. I raised the level so it's about .5 inches below. Also, I watered from the top this morning, to get the roots within the hydroton moist. I'll give it a few days and see how it looks.

Thanks again!

So, I brought up my water level so the very bottom roots where soaking in the bubbly and new roots growning into it. This seems to have cured the flacid issue, but the leaves are now looking yellowish and distorted and there seem to be a couple brownish spots on the new leaves. Any ideas on what this could be?

Tbanks!

Yellowish and distorted leaves with brownish spots sounds like nutrient deficiency and/or infection. It could be related to the thirsty plant problem and will go away but my guess is it sounds like there is something else going on. Can't help you myself about what it is. Someone else here might be able to help. (especially if you post the pics in IMG tags so it comes up)

Back