• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

semillas.de question

I wanted to order some seeds from semillas.de.  I was looking at the requirements for small seed importing.  I was wondering if their shipments met these requirements.

(i) A typed or legibly printed seed list/invoice accompanies each shipment with the name of the collector/shipper, the botanical names (at least to genus, preferably to species level) listed alphabetically, as well as the country of origin, and country shipped from, for each taxon. Each seed packet is clearly labeled with the name of the collector/shipper, the country of origin, and the scientific name at least to the genus, and preferably to the species, level. The invoice/seed list may provide a code for each lot, which may be used on the seed packets in lieu of the full list of required information. In this case, each packet must at least include the appropriate code, which is referenced to the entry for that packet on the seed list/invoice.

(v) The seeds are securely packaged in packets or envelopes and sealed to prevent spillage [Note: we recommend that seeds are packed in resealable, clear plastic envelopes to facilitate inspection];

(vii) At the time of importation, the shipment is sent to an approved port of entry listed in the permit.

I removed some of the other items that I already figured out...

-Alden

Seems to be hit - or - miss, others have.> http://thehotpepper.com/topic/62097-is-anyone-with-an-import-permit-in-the-us-purchasing-from-semillas-soon/

AldenMiller said:
I wanted to order some seeds from semillas.de.  I was looking at the requirements for small seed importing.  I was wondering if their shipments met these requirements.

(i) A typed or legibly printed seed list/invoice accompanies each shipment with the name of the collector/shipper, the botanical names (at least to genus, preferably to species level) listed alphabetically, as well as the country of origin, and country shipped from, for each taxon. Each seed packet is clearly labeled with the name of the collector/shipper, the country of origin, and the scientific name at least to the genus, and preferably to the species, level. The invoice/seed list may provide a code for each lot, which may be used on the seed packets in lieu of the full list of required information. In this case, each packet must at least include the appropriate code, which is referenced to the entry for that packet on the seed list/invoice.

(v) The seeds are securely packaged in packets or envelopes and sealed to prevent spillage [Note: we recommend that seeds are packed in resealable, clear plastic envelopes to facilitate inspection];

(vii) At the time of importation, the shipment is sent to an approved port of entry listed in the permit.

I removed some of the other items that I already figured out...

-Alden

Where is this copied from? Thanks!

NECM

He will not accept a sales without an Avis(or whatever permit,USA personal AG. thing.).

He won't send seeds to the U.S.A. ,as far as I know without the permit because the seeds get confiscated without the permit.
I've known him over several years.
He will not send seeds that he knows Will be taken by Customs!

A great person with a Passion for Peppers and the need to do his customers right.

I do know a few years back he changed locations.
Pissed some people off because he refused their order.Sent people their $ back instead of seeds.
Then Customs kicked in...

He ,to me is a Very cool guy.
A great seed source,But you gotta play by the rules,or you get burned by Customs.

Smoke

It's worth the trouble getting the import permit. My only advice is to add any countries you think you might ever buy from. I only put Spain because I was wanting to order from Semillas at the time. It isn't very clear how to update that info after you've gotten your permit, to add more countries.

Regarding Semillas/Peter Merle, he is an awesome vendor. I've ordered from him 2 or 3 times, and everything was great. The seeds all had great germ rates, most 100%. The plants I've grown have all been true. He has one of the best selections in the world, lots of rare strains too. And the prices are very reasonable.

Hopefully I filled the application out correctly.  The one thing I wasn't sure of was the inspection station.  I selected one close to me in Maryland since they did not have any instructions on what to select...

-Alden

Since more than one year I declare all shipments as "small lots of seeds, Capsicum species, origin: Spain" 
and so far didn´t get any info on shipments that have been confiscated.

The better way is to apply for a import permit that will give you zero risk.
Import permits are valid for several years.

Peter

No permit required. I recently picked up a couple of Pubescens cultivars I'd never heard of from Semillas. Seeds arrived in 8 business days, with a couple of freebies. I won't be able to ascertain the quality of the peppers from the seeds til next Summer, but I am happy with the transaction, and looking forward to growing them.

Ordered from semillas.de after reading this topic. Very happy with the delivery time and packaging. All seeds are vacuum-sealed and have an easily readable name tag. Rate 5/5 for logistics. Only going to test the seeds next month or so, but I'm positive it will be a good result.

I have to add that I have had 100% germination from the seeds I got from Semillas.De. Every single seed germinated within 10 days, which is almost unheard of for Pubescens. We'll see how true the plants grow next year, but I'm willing to bet they will be legit.

Back