• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Serrano leaves curling and yellowing

Hi all,

I have a young, indoors serrano plant and I noticed today that two of the leaves are starting to curl and most of the leaves are beginning to produce a yellowish hue. I don't know what's happening so I'm hoping I can get some ideas on how to fix this before it gets worse.

My pepper plant is currently sitting in organic seed-starting soil, on top of a heat mat and is 2 inches away from my T5 lamp. I water the plants from the bottom using a chamomile tea and water combination. I checked and the soil is still moist. I have an orange habanero plant that is the same age and under the same growing conditions and so far, it's not displaying any of these symptoms.

Could the problem be the soil? At what point should I plant the serrano in a potting mixture? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Below is a link to some pictures to show you what I'm seeing. (sorry, some of the pics are kind of blurry).

Thanks much!

Peppers photos

yo i_love dude :welcome:

"Any help is greatly appreciated."

if i was to guess you have no drainage in the clear plastic

cup. please go ahead and pot up and into something with drainage using whatever

if you are moving outside (as it is June, you should) please be careful to harden them suckers off

beware there are pepper plant eating nasties :crazy: out there

good growerating :lol: :lol:

+1 Nitwit

yup those babies need drain holes for excess moisture to get out and for oxygen to get to the roots

yup pot up with bigger cups or pots with a good potting mix and holes around the bottoms

yup harden off a while before full time outside

yup litle nasties are mean to peppers get sum neem and spray them when you start to take them outside

:welcome: from iowa

best of luck on yur grow.

Thanks for your replies. There is a large hole at the bottom of the cup, but I'll definitely try a larger container with the potting soil and see what happens. Thanks again.

Thanks for your replies. There is a large hole at the bottom of the cup, but I'll definitely try a larger container with the potting soil and see what happens. Thanks again.

The thing with 1 hole on the bottom is the cup is sitting on it try a few holes around the sides close to the bottom so air can get in easily.

i did read that lover boy bottom waters, so i am guessing there are holes in the bottom of the cups. that was my first thought as well then reread the post.

i have thought of moving to clear cups to monitor root development.

could be your plants are wanting some calcium or magnesium and i would be potting up about now.

good luck

Thank you so much! I didn't think about that. I really appreciate your help!!

your welcome also with the holes on bottom and not sides its harder to drain and then it sits in the draining water if there is no holes on bottom and jsut 3-4 1/4 inch holes around the bottom/sides then when they drain the water will run out and away from the cup i bottom watered with 30 cups this way 6 or so at a time and after there soak in the water moved them to a slighty tilted tray and let them drain downhill then back to the grow shelf.

:cheers:

What type of soil are you planning on using? I made the mistake of just getting a random bag of "potting soil" my first year not realizing peppers do need good lomy soil that doesn't hold a lot of water to thrive in. If your not sure what to use just get a bag of pro-mix. Although it's a bit more you will have a lot less problems in the long run and start them on a small dose of cal-mag.

i did read that lover boy bottom waters, so i am guessing there are holes in the bottom of the cups. that was my first thought as well then reread the post.

i have thought of moving to clear cups to monitor root development.

could be your plants are wanting some calcium or magnesium and i would be potting up about now.

good luck

Thanks! Yep, I'm definitely going to pot up today and use my potting soil, which has more nutrients.

Hope you all are having a wonderful growing season! -Jenny

What type of soil are you planning on using? I made the mistake of just getting a random bag of "potting soil" my first year not realizing peppers do need good lomy soil that doesn't hold a lot of water to thrive in. If your not sure what to use just get a bag of pro-mix. Although it's a bit more you will have a lot less problems in the long run and start them on a small dose of cal-mag.

I'm planning on using Foxfarm's Ocean Forest Potting Soil. It says it has sandy loam and seems to have the right pH balance. Has anyone else tried this product? It would be my first time using it.

Thanks.

ive read in a couple threads that the fox farms ocean is a little hot and could cause some burn especialy if you add nutes to it... i would go with happy frog from fox farms also. As far as promix i wish i could get my hands on a bag of that...also i dont think you need the heat mat any more i beleive your supposed to remove it after the seed sprouts the mat and the light combo might be given off to much heat ..

ive read in a couple threads that the fox farms ocean is a little hot and could cause some burn especialy if you add nutes to it... i would go with happy frog from fox farms also. As far as promix i wish i could get my hands on a bag of that...also i dont think you need the heat mat any more i beleive your supposed to remove it after the seed sprouts the mat and the light combo might be given off to much heat bro..

Thanks for the tip about the fox farms ocean and the heat mat. I'm really looking forward to growing some healthy plants! Thanks all.

I'm using Fox Farms Ocean, it is a good soil but is hot out of the bag. This being my first year, I made the mistake of adding ferts with the soil and burned the hell out of my plants and have been playing catch up ever since. Also, this is just my experience, it has quite a bit of peat which will retain water so I added a bunch of extra perlite to the mix and it seems to be doing the job. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the extra info about the ocean mix. Fortunately, I didn't add any extra ferts because I wanted to see how the plants did without it. Btw, what does a burn look like?

Also, does this mean I shouldn't try an Epsom salt foliar feed with mix I'm using?

Thanks again!

Back