• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Serrano Stalk Question

I have a baby Serrano that I rescued from my local WalMart... has a stalk that has corking and is curved about half way up... what would cause that and what TLC should I give it?

Newbie... any help appreciated.

Welcome. I would like to see some pics, that'll help us see what you are talking about and to help diagnose the problem (if there is one). Nice avatar btw.

Corking on the stem is normal (at least as you get toward the bottom of the stem) and as the plant gets larger you get more corking (it rises upwards from the bottom up).

I agree with Richard. Corking on stem is normal. I think it's just sign of stem hardening itself usually bottom up.

I have a Red Savina plant that exhibits corking and also a curved stem. Meaning stem is still trying to grow straight up but there is a bend along the way. I'm not talking extreme 90 degree bend or anything of that nature. Judging by the leaves my plant looks healthy.

I agree with the above. I just figured I would throw in a picture.
The white powder is diatomaceous earth.

Resized0043.jpg

I tried DE but I found that I didn't really get any crawling bugs that would cause me a problem. What I did find was that the DE turned into a paste after I watered my plants. How do you get around that Josh?

Blister said:
I tried DE but I found that I didn't really get any crawling bugs that would cause me a problem. What I did find was that the DE turned into a paste after I watered my plants. How do you get around that Josh?

I haven't been using it too long but it rained the other day and it just washed away. A couple of clumps pasted up but I have been trying to just put down a light dusting.

Back