• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

SETHSQUATCH GROW BIG LOG WITH puny hammer

Ok. I'm in the ring. This is really my first year growing from seed and may as well be my first year ever. Last year we had a bag garden (which was pretty weak), and Justaguy contributed a couple of bucket plants later in the season (awesome).

So, just to get this out in the open early, I'm a little OCD. DANGER PLANTS! DANGER! FLEE FROM THE FURRY ONE! My natural tendency is to, well, let's just call it over-love my plants. "You like fertilizer? Well you'll love it straight from the bottle!"

One of my bigger hurdles is to just let the plants do their thing. I mean, I have grown up in a culture of drive-thru instant gratification, which doesn't exactly breed patience… But I'm working on it. Trying to tread gently through the grow instead of STOMP STOMP TEAR BREAK YELL. So far, so goodish?

Well I currently have 93 babies and about that many more in the germination station. Did I mention I like to go all out when starting a project? Does my car need a ejector seat and a rocket engine? Absolutely. Do I need cybernetic appendages and the ability to shoot lasers from my eyes? Most definitely.

Sooooooo. 93 plants. Alive and growing under lights. Here is my count as of this morning.

Scorpion (Moruga) (Justaguy)- 11
Scorpion (Butch T) (Alphaeon by way of Jstaguy)- 7
Brain Strain
(Justaguy) - 1
Yellow 7 pot/pod (Justaguy) - 3
Douglah (cmpman) - 8
Fatalii (Pepper Guru)- 8
Avery Island Tabasco - 4
Thai Fire
(Justaguy) - 13
Caribbean Red Habanero (Justaguy) - 26
Aji Yellow (Aji Joe) - 6
Naga x 7 pot/pod cross (Justaguy) - 1
Chinese Cabbage, Autumn Torch Hybrid - 3
Unknown pepper - 4

Here is a list of what's in the germination station right now.

Bhut Indian Carbon x Yellow 7 cross (Spicegeist by way of MJdiamond)
Criolla De Cocina (MJdiamond)
Biker Billy Jalapenos
Tabasco
Early Girl Tomatoes
Genovese Basil
Cilantro
Broccoli
Chinese Cabbage Autumn Torch Hybrid

Poblano
Cayenne
Hot Cherry
Dill
Nu mex

My initial germination of the first round of seedlings was done in peat pellets. They came with the tray so I figured I'd use them. NEVER AGAIN. Those things were a real pain in the ass to keep properly moistened. As soon as I could, I removed my sprouts from them and transferred into seed starting mix. Lost a few on the way but nothing to worry about. It's pretty likely I will be sharing some of these plants with some friends the way it is.

I kept my light on 24/7 for the first 2 weeks and then switched to an 18/6 cycle. Right now I am top watering and misting as needed. I was told that top watering helps get rid of all the bad buildups in the soil. Don't know if that's true or not, but whatever. I am trying to base my watering on tray weight. For nutrients I am using Pro Bloom, Liquid Karma, and a weekly compost tea brewed for 24 hours with an air stone in a bucket. All of my water also sits out for at least 24 hours before use to eliminate any chlorine.

Now, I really want to switch soil at this point but I am going to resist. For one, it costs more than I can swing right now.

My setup has evolved from one 2 bulb light fixture to a modified in ceiling fluorescent donated and wired by Justaguy. I drilled some holes, added u-bolts, and used carabiners and chains to hang the fixture from the bar in the closet. This way I can adjust as needed for light height. I can raise one side higher as well if necessary, which is also nice. I have some reflective film on the back wall and closet door to help recapture and reflect some of that escaping light. That's it. My setup.

Here are some pics. I will update with a million questions, and progress as I am able. My next post will probably be showing my outside grow area once the damn rain stops and I can snap some pictures. Anyway, thanks for looking.

Initial setup:

Upgrade:

Peppers 2/29/12 (just one tray but they are pretty similar):

AIGHT FOLKS! Been awhile since I updated. I'm too busy with the little one and the harvesting. Plus I haven't been able to order my new charger yet (thanks to Meatfreak for the assist). Soon though. Luckily, my buddy Justaguy stopped over and helped harvest and snapped some pics. So, here goes:

Garden

100_1942

100_1946

The tabascos make me happy

100_1949

My favorite phenotype this year - THE BRAIN STRAIN

100_1944

Some weird leaf scale issue I am seeing in my garden. If anyone knows what this is, tell me please.

100_1950

Harvest (sorry for the mess)

100_1951

100_1952

Well, this season has gone pretty great for me. It's funny how in the begining how every node is a victory and now at the end, I am ready to stop with the processing. Die already you bastards! Just kidding. Kinda. Next year is going to be a lot different. I will be growing some milder peppers and sweet peppers in with the supers and will be cutting down significantly on the amount of supers. I'm looking forward to it but first I need to make it through the rest of this year. I maybe have a month left before the first frost.

Thanks for looking, chili cheers friends!

Looking like a straight Pepper-Guru! Sweet plot this year dude! How you like them Roosters?!

I actually don't dig em. I really don't think I like the thai fires either that often anymore... I think my palette must be changing. I find myself cooking with mostly fataliis, poblanos, jalapenos, and habs. I did find someone that really digs em though so he is reaping the harvest. It's a beautiful plant. I gave away some kind of camari pepper this year too. The heat is sharp and quick. Like a snakebite. The finish isn't super appealing flavor wise either. Although I love saracha/rooster sauce, this particular pepper just doesn't feel good without some work. Like as a powder or sauce.

I got to go take a look at your GLOG dude. And thanks for the props. Everything just seems to flow when I grow. Got pretty lucky this year and the early work paid off. After awhile they just take care of themselves. Especially the 6 footers... :)

I am with you about the supers. There are soooo many now that it is easy to waste all of your growing area on them. You only need a few to add heat to whatever you are doing. Isn't that the beauty of them? Any supers I grow next season will go in containers only.

Wow, what a mess :lol: No man those are some healthy looking plants you raised, Seth! Great job this season, next year some more veggies also? I'm totally with you on the supers, next season I'm gonna have more Annuums to grow.

Looks like your season panned out excellently! That's a killer harvest and your plants are amazingly massive and healthy! How many poblano plants did you have to be able to pull that many at once?

Looks like your season panned out excellently! That's a killer harvest and your plants are amazingly massive and healthy! How many poblano plants did you have to be able to pull that many at once?

I have five going. Lots of the pods are staying pretty small though. I have seen that in my other friends gardens as well. Very strange.

I have some pure seed on the cross (ic bhut x yellow 7) saved for you by the way.

Wow, that pepper plot looks great! I've been kept busy with processing too, and trying to keep up with it is tough. I want to cut back on my supers as well, but then I see other varieties I want to try. I guess for a few years I'll try things out and find what I really like to grow. Anyway, great looking plants!

All-righty friends. The end is here. I still have some plants going in the garden (tabasco mainly) but most have been chopped and pulled. The freeze killed the tops of most everything out there. I have been selectively pruning any wilted sections with the hope of grabbing a few more pods. Just because the season is over though, doesn't mean I won't be thinking about next seasons grow and nursing my bonchi pepper.

I rescued a bonsai plant at the beginning of the season from a friends yard, potted it in soil, and let it do its thing. I am happy to say it came back. With a vengence! Behold, my first bonsai!

rescue bonsai

So, I chopped up a few plants to make bonchi peppers. I ended up only liking the shape of one. The morouga. I have some other container plants I am looking at as potentials but we'll see... Here is the beginning of my bonchi experiment. He is currently living under a flourescent in the tool room.

morouga bonsai start

I am really excited by this process. I hope to be successful but only time will tell. Gotta see that new growth! Hopefully in a couple weeks after the roots have adjusted...

Ok. I have lot's of pod shots but really, only one is awesome. First, the last garden pic. Pre-freeze.

The last garden pic 2012

I harvested probably around 20 pounds of pre freeze peppers, sorted them by color and told Kathy (my wife) to go do her thing. She delivered this beautiful mandala.

Final-harvest-by-KCweb

While it doesn't have much of the harvest (most of it is still in boxes, I have been processing like a madman), it is the swan song for my 2012. I had a really great season due in no small part to all of you. Now, it's time to make the goodies.

Chili cheers,
Sethsquatch

Wow.........amazing harvest shot...pep-tacular! Spin that circle...........ha
Seth your garden was huge success. I'm glad to see you were rewarded with bushels of peppers throughout the season. I bet Brian had some inspiring thoughts and suggestions to help things run smoothly.

Your garden photos are a fine example why to grow inground plants. They do tower......
Good luck with any "fine tuning" for next seasons grow. Although you probably
won't need any, its already "in key" ...

Greg

Seth your garden is on steroids. My jaw literally dropped and then I laughed when I saw it. Those plants are monsters. You did we'll my friend, great job! Those bonsi plants look cool, I have a brain strain that I might do that with. Your wife is a rock star! Very cool pepper art. You should submit it to Pepper Joes ongoing contest in the forums (I believe it's ongoing) Keep Up The Good Fight Squatchy!

Damnn Seth that is an awesome ending to a super grow. Hard to belive it was your first. Nice to have friends like Brian and Rich to help out a bit ;) . If I have one request it's that you make this your new avitar. Just badazz and the bonsai is tight :party:

Back