Setting up my first garden

Hello, I'm planning on starting my first garden this spring so I'm trying to get my plan together and I'm looking for advice.

In my backyard there is currently an area where it looks like there was some sort of landscaping/garden from the previous owners. Toward the back of the lawn there is a section lined with bricks. Inside this area there is black fabric covered with wood chips. When I purchased the house last fall there were a couple smaller landscaping plants growing in this area that didn't look that healthy and which I cut down.    

I want to turn this area into my garden so I'm wondering what I'm going to need to do. I had planned to remove and dispose of all the wood chips, get rid of the fabric liner, dig up the soil with a hoe or rake and remove any debris, possibly add new soil (purchased from the local dump fairly cheaply) and finally planting my peppers and other plants which I'm currently trying to germinate. 

I've seen rabbits in the back yard so I'm thinking I'll also have to put up chicken wire to line the garden as well to protect it. 

How does my checklist sound so far? Sorry for the newbie questions but I'm new to this and hoping to have a successful first year of gardening especially now that I've started investing time and money into it. 

When I get home I'll try uploading a couple photos of the area in question. 

Thanks!

Kyle said:
Hello, I'm planning on starting my first garden this spring so I'm trying to get my plan together and I'm looking for advice.

In my backyard there is currently an area where it looks like there was some sort of landscaping/garden from the previous owners. Toward the back of the lawn there is a section lined with bricks. Inside this area there is black fabric covered with wood chips. When I purchased the house last fall there were a couple smaller landscaping plants growing in this area that didn't look that healthy and which I cut down.    

I want to turn this area into my garden so I'm wondering what I'm going to need to do. I had planned to remove and dispose of all the wood chips, get rid of the fabric liner, dig up the soil with a hoe or rake and remove any debris, possibly add new soil (purchased from the local dump fairly cheaply) and finally planting my peppers and other plants which I'm currently trying to germinate. 

I've seen rabbits in the back yard so I'm thinking I'll also have to put up chicken wire to line the garden as well to protect it. 

How does my checklist sound so far? Sorry for the newbie questions but I'm new to this and hoping to have a successful first year of gardening especially now that I've started investing time and money into it. 

When I get home I'll try uploading a couple photos of the area in question. 

Thanks!

Bottle rockets work nicely for the critters. Same ones tend not to come back. Works on deer too. But I have some M-70s for them, if necessary.

Back